Silkie Colors

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by TexasLady, Oct 4, 2013.

1. TexasLady

TexasLady Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2012
    I purchased 50 silkies, but many are males. I just want one flock, but I wouldn't mind a male with them.

If I keep a male, I'd like to keep one that is a desirable color (in case I'd like to sell chicks someday).

What color is the most saleable color? I like whites. I doubt that blacks are that desirable though I like them. I have partridge, buff, white, black and a greyish color (blue?) though since they are only about six weeks old, I don't know sexes yet.

And, how do I sex them? I have no clue what to do with them on sexes, and I surely don't need twenty males!

2. Veer67

Veer67 Chillin' With My Peeps

Last edited: Oct 4, 2013
  3. TexasLady

Mar 27, 2012
    Thanks!

I will post them. They are only a couple weeks old. Should I wait?

What colors are the most popular?

4. Veer67

Veer67 Chillin' With My Peeps

They are young but we'll see most likely you'll have to post then again in a few months. I'm not sure about what colors are the most popular, I personally like the porcelain coloring the most.

5. TexasLady

Mar 27, 2012
    Thanks. I will take pictures today.

I have such a hard time posting pictures on this site. It usually takes me hours for them to finally take. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks for helping me out on this.

6. tadkerson

tadkerson Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2008
    Missouri
    You will need to keep two or three males if you want to breed and raise new breeders every few years. Lots of things can happen to a rooster, it is best to keep as many as you can,

Tim

7. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    I agree with Tim, with fifty birds you definitely need more than one rooster. Also, the birds that are the best type and in recognized varieties will sell best. If they are not to standard, they will not sell well, regardless of variety. The only exception to this is popular project varieties where you are not expected to have it all together yet. But even then people look for quality. At 6 weeks virtually no one can accurately sex them without DNA testing.

Finding a GOOD black silkie is difficult, and they are readily snapped up when available.

8. TexasLady

Mar 27, 2012
    Oh goodness. I will probably want to buy the roosters if I am going to breed them. I'd rather buy some good roosters than try to keep roosters from this group. I guess I will take pictures of the blacks first (I think I have six), and then folks can see them to see if they are worth keeping. Then I will go on to the other colors.

Thanks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by