Silkie Comb Question PICS added pg 2

CountryMom

Songster
11 Years
Jun 21, 2008
South Texas
I have a silkie chick that is about month old. It has a single comb growing in. It is not like our other silkie hens from Ideal that have walnut combs. This one is straight and has little spikes like my Speckled Sussex had when he was young. Does that mean this silkie chick maybe cross bred with something else - or is it just a bad fault in the breeding line? It is a cuckoo colored chick.

Last edited:
Sounds like a bad fault. Or one of the parent stock is heterozygous for the Walnut comb. This COULD be from the addition of a barred rock somewhere down the line to help with the barring.

I've read other postings about that being a genetic fault. But I'm definitely no silkie expert. Mine are babies, and came from a show quality breeder. But my very first silkie roo (bought him at an auction) had a single comb. He was blue, and other than his comb, had all the traits of a purebred silkie. He was very beautiful. But I took him back to the auction and sold him because I wanted to get a better quality. I still miss that little guy!
sad.png

I think it's just a fault, too. I have a SLW with a single comb, and that breed is supposed to have rose combs. It's probably the same with Silkies.

Ok, so it must be a fault. I am not going for show stock and will mainly keep these birds for fun, I just wanted more fluff and better quality. I haven't had any luck hatching eggs for silkies, so I am getting more from Ideal. Just disappointed really.

Single combs is not that uncommon in silkies actually. It is considered a DQ at a show and considered "very undesirable" to have in one's flock though.

Silkies actually have a modified rose comb. Roosters pure for rose comb is known to have reduced fertility than any other type comb. Even a rose comb rooster who has just one rose comb gene has higher fertility.

So this lends to the hidden single comb easily spreading through the stock, as the rose combed rooster with one single comb gene could be fertilizing far more eggs.

Thank you Kev for explaining it more. I am not sure if this one is a roo or not. I guess time will tell. Just goes to show that you have to be careful where you get stock and what to breed. I know Ideal isn't the best stock, but shoot my three from them now are better looking coloring and comb than these. And they have dark skin all over - and dark beaks. This little chick even has a mostly white beak. I don't know that this is a fault or not, but I like the uniqueness of the silkie for it's dark skin. Sigh.

Quote:
If your disappointed, why are you returning to a hatchery for more chicks. It will only bring more disappointment. Hatchery birds are NOTORIOUS for inferior quality. You'll only end up with more single combs, four toes, and any number of other "faults."

If you are wanting more fluff and better quality, its best to find a breeder, or hold out for started or adult birds. If you keep returning to hatcheries for breeding stock, you will continue to invite more disappointment.

Last edited by a moderator:
This chick was NOT from Ideal. It was a double order from a supose to be good source of super nice silkies. Only one egg hatched out of 19 - only four were developed. My Ideal birds who are over a year old are actually just not as fluffy as some SQ stock, but have all the right parts and colors of their parts. When I get my new order from Ideal in I will check out their combs and feet and skin and all of it. If I get a chance will post pics of this chick and the new ones.

Back
Top Bottom