Silkie Comb Question PICS added pg 2

I'm trying to exlain the conflict in your statement though. You said you wanted more fluff and better quality. Even if this particular chick WASN'T from Ideal, ordering MORE from Ideal wont solve the problem.

And IF you get birds that have the right parts, correct qualities, it will still take YEARS and YEARS of breeding/culling/breeding back before you ever have a representation of the Silkie you appear to be striving for.

Look at it this way.... your going to spend what $2, $3 per chick and the minimum is what 25 chicks. So right there you're already at $50 to $75, and then you have to add shipping I'm sure. And then there is no guarantee that all will be alive upon delivery. So you may end up loosing money from the get go.

If you take that same $50 to $75 and purchase a started or adult, (which are out there, you just have to know where to look) you can save years and years of time an energy because you are starting with better genetics to begin with. Even a lesser quality breeding bird from a breeder is still MILES ahead of hatchery birds.

Christopher, I pm'd you...

Let me state, I am not striving for SQ breeders, but for fun birds.

I respect those who strive to better the breed of their choice and know how much work that is because of other animals I have done the same with. I do not ever plan to represent these birds as such or even market them to any extent. I am unhappy with my results of attempting to obtain better for the fun of our enjoyment here at our ranch.

Silkie Chick with a single comb....
12214_cucko_silkie_comb.jpg

12214_cucko_silkie.jpg

Last edited:
Quote:
This is very true. If you want good silkies they should be very easy to get a hold of. Try Alan Stanford or Bobbi Porto or some of our BYC members like Julie (bamachicken) and there are many others. Good Luck in you search. Oh and your Silkie has a Single Comb not a normal comb.

Last edited:
Yes she is in a wild stage that is for sure! Well, I say she, not sure which and from what I have read won't know for a while.

Back
Top Bottom