Silkie Combs - when do they come in?

Arelwood

Songster
Feb 13, 2022
I have noticed some differences in the spots where my silkies combs will come in. I tried to find some info on when their combs come in, but apparently that info does not exist on the internet. So, silkie keepers, when did you notice combs for each gender?

The differences in my silkies: They are just under 5 weeks old- same hatch day.

#1 V-shaped comb area (been told this is a female characteristic, but all other signs point to this one being a roo)
-stands tall most of the time​
-most vocal of all, constantly looking around and sounding the alarm​
-biggest of all​
-tons of feathers on feet​
-crest is growing fast, and not all same length, but not streaming out behind (growing straight up atm)​
-least amount of chest bumping (and only toward the other silkies)​

#2 Wide U shaped comb area (been told this is a roo characteristic, but all other signs point to it being female)
-low posture​
-smallest of all​
-few leg feathers​
-shy behavior toward me​
-usually the instigator in chest bumping (but only does it to the other 2 silkies, never towards the 3 Polish)​
-just getting crest​
-not very vocal​

#3 Comb is in between a V and a U. *rolls eyes* this is IMPOSSIBLE! (other signs point to female- this is the only one who doesn't appear to be bearded, so IDK if that changes things)
-very low, horizontal posture​
-almost no leg feathers​
-chest bumps, but doesn't instigate (and never toward the Polish)​
-in between my smallest and largest silkie​
-crest slow-growing and seems contained.​
-least vocal​

I know sexing in silkies is hard, but I don't think it is this impossible thing everyone says. Just need the data and experiences analyzed. I also feel like there is NO DATA on anything silkie-related. For example, when I got my 1-day olds, I was looking for daily weight averages. Couldn't find anything. Couldn't find weekly averages either. I can find this for other breeds, so it is very irritating. So my goal is to document, document, document and then POST THE INFO somewhere it could help someone. If anyone wants to contribute any data they have been collecting on silkies, please post! ANY DATA - weights, heights, when each body part feathers, etc. etc. etc.!

On the other hand, I did find out that my city no longer specifically bans roos, so if I have a rooster I'm not mad. I am concerned if I have 2 though- my flock is only 6.

Pic for attention: Shows #1(blue?grey?) and #3 (buff) at about 4 weeks. Sorry for the poor quality.
20220328_130737.jpg

I have noticed some differences in the spots where my silkies combs will come in. I tried to find some info on when their combs come in, but apparently that info does not exist on the internet. So, silkie keepers, when did you notice combs for each gender?

The differences in my silkies: They are just under 5 weeks old- same hatch day.

#1 V-shaped comb area (been told this is a female characteristic, but all other signs point to this one being a roo)
-stands tall most of the time​
-most vocal of all, constantly looking around and sounding the alarm​
-biggest of all​
-tons of feathers on feet​
-crest is growing fast, and not all same length, but not streaming out behind (growing straight up atm)​
-least amount of chest bumping (and only toward the other silkies)​

#2 Wide U shaped comb area (been told this is a roo characteristic, but all other signs point to it being female)
-low posture​
-smallest of all​
-few leg feathers​
-shy behavior toward me​
-usually the instigator in chest bumping (but only does it to the other 2 silkies, never towards the 3 Polish)​
-just getting crest​
-not very vocal​

#3 Comb is in between a V and a U. *rolls eyes* this is IMPOSSIBLE! (other signs point to female- this is the only one who doesn't appear to be bearded, so IDK if that changes things)
-very low, horizontal posture​
-almost no leg feathers​
-chest bumps, but doesn't instigate (and never toward the Polish)​
-in between my smallest and largest silkie​
-crest slow-growing and seems contained.​
-least vocal​

I know sexing in silkies is hard, but I don't think it is this impossible thing everyone says. Just need the data and experiences analyzed. I also feel like there is NO DATA on anything silkie-related. For example, when I got my 1-day olds, I was looking for daily weight averages. Couldn't find anything. Couldn't find weekly averages either. I can find this for other breeds, so it is very irritating. So my goal is to document, document, document and then POST THE INFO somewhere it could help someone. If anyone wants to contribute any data they have been collecting on silkies, please post! ANY DATA - weights, heights, when each body part feathers, etc. etc. etc.!

On the other hand, I did find out that my city no longer specifically bans roos, so if I have a rooster I'm not mad. I am concerned if I have 2 though- my flock is only 6.

Pic for attention: Shows #1(blue?grey?) and #3 (buff) at about 4 weeks. Sorry for the poor quality.
View attachment 3049456
Combs this young completely unreliable in Silkies. My current rooster (avatar photo) did not show ANY male characteristics until he was close to 4 months old.😊

Here is a thread I posted last year demonstrating how tricky this can be:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/posts/24597779

Behavior can be an indicator, but this has fooled me as well.
In my chicks I am finding weights at about 4-5 days old can be an indicator, everything else being equal (same parents for example), but this is also not 100%.

Good luck with your little sweeties!😍

To answer your question, WHEN combs come in can vary greatly, may be why you are having trouble finding any specific info. Most female Silkies never get much of a comb, will get slightly larger a bit before that start to lay, mine generally do not lay until around 8 months of age. My rooster's started coming in around 4 months of age. In many hatchery birds, the combs will come in MUCH earlier, some males will be obvious already around 2 months of age, females later.😊

Combs this young completely unreliable in Silkies. My current rooster (avatar photo) did not show ANY male characteristics until he was close to 4 months old.😊

Here is a thread I posted last year demonstrating how tricky this can be:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/posts/24597779

Behavior can be an indicator, but this has fooled me as well.
In my chicks I am finding weights at about 4-5 days old can be an indicator, everything else being equal (same parents for example), but this is also not 100%.

Good luck with your little sweeties!😍
Thanks I will check this out!

To answer your question, WHEN combs come in can vary greatly, may be why you are having trouble finding any specific info. Most female Silkies never get much of a comb, will get slightly larger a bit before that start to lay, mine generally do not lay until around 8 months of age. My rooster's started coming in around 4 months of age. In many hatchery birds, the combs will come in MUCH earlier, some males will be obvious already around 2 months of age, females later.😊
Perhaps this is the reason. However, not even ranges were given anywhere! I appreciate this info by the way!

We had a roo give us so much hope for 5 months! Then one day we heard a questionable crow and a few days later saw him mount his sidekick. Lol
He was the largest, grew faster then his hatch mates and had the most feathers on his legs from the very start. But his crest, saddle, hackles and comb came in late. And his personality was very docile all the way up until he left. Wish I could have kept him, he was so beautiful. But that made him so much easier to re-home that our "Joe Dirt" not conformity roo we already have 😂

With Silkies it is just a waiting game. Stance is the biggest tell for me, way before feathers and comb and wattles (if not bearded).

Back
Top Bottom