Silkie Combs

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Byrdj, Feb 24, 2009.

1. Byrdj

Byrdj Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 7, 2008
    Commerce, GA
    Since a single comb is recessive to a walnut comb which is a combination of a pea and rose comb, why are there so many single combed Silkies out there? Does it keep re-occuring because it could be hidden as recessive and not expressed until future generations?
    How did the single comb gene get into the breed?

2. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    Well in a nut shell (or walnut shell) [​IMG] I was told that cochins were used to partially create the silkie breed amongst other chickens. And that the single comb will keep showing up and a person must be diligent to just pick the ones that dont have that comb if they want to breed to the standard. So I am no authority, this is just what I was told by someone else. [​IMG]

eta: yes I think its a hidden unexpressed reccessive gene many times

Last edited: Feb 24, 2009
  3. Byrdj

Byrdj Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 7, 2008
    Commerce, GA
    That makes sense. Cochins would help produce thicker feathering. Also, it certainly wouldn't hurt in making them broody. I just hope the rooster I keep for breeding doesn't carry a recessive single comb gene. I got my silkie chicks from Ideal Hatchery. They look great otherwise and have nice full top not feathering.

4. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    I got a little black roo silkie with a single comb and he is just a sweetheart [​IMG]

5. Year of the Rooster

Year of the Rooster Sebright Savvy

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    Quote:You may never know unless you actually breed him. I'm hoping mine doesn't have it too, since I received a single combed rooster with him.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by