silkie combs?

2hot2chicken

Songster
8 Years
Jul 15, 2011
Beaverton
Any silkie breeders or anyone really.
I am raising my 1st batch of silkie chicks.
I know silkies are very hard to sex until they crow or lay an egg.
I have my silkie chicks which are now almost 4 weeks old and several have suddenly gotten combs almost overnight.
They are kinda like a bubbly purpleish mass at the top of the beek.

Is this likly an indicator they are roos or could they still be pullets?
It looks to me like a smaller version of the tumor looking combs I have seen on some roos.
But I am not sure if hens can have this type of comb also?
I can get picks tomorrow as they are already sleeping.

Thanks

yes this is a ign of a roo i breed silkies and this i the sign r they crossed with another breed? i have never heard of a silkie getting a comb thi early but it could happen

Three of my hatchery silkie chicks go combs very early and yes they all three turned out to be roos
sad.png

Well the combs are still flat. but they are obvious tiny bumps almost on top of each other in a little mass. not raised up very much yet but wide. I was hoping not roosters. My daughter got attached to one of them from the moment I opened the shipping box. I am going to still keep it till it crows just to be sure. She is very upset about it. I tried to explain to her when we got them this could happen and not to get attached or name any of them until we knew who we were keeping and who was going...... Oddly enough my DH got attached to 1 as well (N he says he hates the chickens
lau.gif
) This one he even named Larry hoping it was a hen.... As in Larry, Currly and Mo....... So if it turns out to actually be a hen then I have a hen named Larry!
gig.gif
And I was informed I am not allowed to get rid of Larry! But unless Larry is a hen........... Hes history!

Oh well wait and c I guess........ Im just gona keep em for a while still to be sure on all of them. I really wish I had the room to keep them all!!!
hit.gif

Last edited:
I have a red silkie chick who's probably three or more weeks old(I need to check the calander...
lol.png
) and a few week ago I noticed that it's comb and wattles were a dark purple color, and bigger. It was quite strange because out of the rest of the silkies we got from the same person we got this one from(we got 3 other silkies), and our older silkies(We have 7 other silkies) don't have anything like this one. this one is the only one in our flock with comb and wattles like they are.

By the way, I love the name Larry.
big_smile.png
lol

Sorry about the quality. Holding a a small chick that's trying to get away from you, and trying to get a good picture of it's face just doesn't turn out too well.
wink.png
but what you are describing sounds a bit like this chick. over a few days the wattles have gotten bigger, and I think the comb too.

I have a hatchery silkie that at 4 weeks had a good sized comb and wattles coming in and turning red in that black skin. He was starting to act boyish as well. He has monster comb and wattles now at 20 weeks.

My little runt silkie that was so sweet, started getting comb growth and tiny wattles around 11 weeks. He also crowed and decided he was top cockeral and made sure the other one knew it. Then came a growth spurt around 14 weeks.

Back
Top Bottom