Silkie Cross Thread!! PICS!!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by SilkieCanada, May 17, 2011.

1. ESofVA

ESofVA Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2012
    Keller, VA

2. ESofVA

ESofVA Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2012
    Keller, VA
    Yep...me too! I have been watching s few of my chicks trying to decide for sure which are pullets an which are not.

3. ihavechickens2

ihavechickens2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2012
    Jemison, Alabama
    these are some silkie mixed chicks. dad was a white silkie to both of them.
    this one i think is a mix with a orpington, not sure though.
    ( BTW ,i dont know why they have 7 toes instead of 6 like a silkie)
    .[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    and this ones mom was a partridge rock.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 14, 2013
  4. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    Cute! Silkies (and their mixes) can have more or less toes than they're supposed to have....which is 5 :)

5. ihavechickens2

Jun 28, 2012
    Jemison, Alabama

Oh yeah, I new that. Sorry.

6. JaimeLynn20

JaimeLynn20 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 24, 2013

7. BandofBantams

BandofBantams Out Of The Brooder

Nov 29, 2012
    All of my chickens are just a year old but doing well. It started out as a fun project for my sons & I, so we have a hodgepodge of chickens, chosen for their calm temperament. Hens are-- 2 Buff Orpingtons, 2 Black Laced Silver Wyandottes, 1 Black Bantam Frizzle, 1 Bantam Americana & 1 Splash Cochin/Frizzle bantam. 1 White Silkie Roo (non-bearded). So, 3 hens went broody---Mabel, Orpington, hatched 4 chicks, Smoke, Splash Cochin Frizzle, hatched 4, but 2 were killed either by her or other hens, 1 died for no apparent reason & 1 survived & doing great (Peepers), but hen attacks, so it's in the broody box. Rose, Americana, is due to hatch any day.

What I find interesting is that all 5 surviving chicks have the 5 toes & feathered feet. Since this was just a see if anything hatches there were eggs from all the hens because they all share nesting boxes, not because none are available but by preference. I'm going to have to check skin now that I see pullets will carry the Silkie darker coloring & cockerels will be lighter.

Here is a picture of Peepers[​IMG]

8. ihavechickens2

Jun 28, 2012
    Jemison, Alabama
    Bandoffeathers

That looks like one of my old Orpington mix with white silkie chick, so it's prolly Orpington mix silkie.

9. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    [​IMG]

Here's an updated picture of my Sizzle chicks. I think I have a boy and a girl. My suspected cockerel is that lesser feathered chicks in the front with the big, bumpy comb. The one behind him hardly has anything going on in the comb department and is starting to sprout some cute little crest feathers.

I was considering selling the cockerel bc I thought I didn't have a use for him, but now I think I'll put him over my blue and splash hens who lost their blue roo this past spring (I was considering selling my blue and splash hens as well bc they were roosterless, then I had a serious DUH moment). Keeping them both will definitely speed my Sizzle project along a little faster since I'm starting from scratch.

10. ihavechickens2

Jun 28, 2012
    Jemison, Alabama

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by