silkie crosses or any other crosses!

the red hen you have is very pretty would that just b a mixed breed rir? or is a different species i know of one similiar called red star

Quote:
Yeah Red Star and production red is the same thing just usually called different names by different hatcheries. They are often used in egg farms for their high egg production.
Mine were rescue hens.

how many eggs do u get from your production reds a week? just wondering if it is a lot more than i get from my rhode island red. I usually get anywhere from 2 to 5 a week from her but i have no idea how old she is so she may b older and not laying like she used too.

I had 2 of those and I usually would get about 12 eggs a week from both so I'm guessing about 6 each.
Production Red hens are usually better layers than The heritage breeds like your RIR, but RIR's usually lay for a longer time than Production reds, so there's ups and downs to both.

Hi! I enjoyed this thread. I have two 3 week old silkie crosses - mom is a RIR/GLW cross and dad is a white silkie cross - looks like a silkie but he has regular feathers and 4 toes on one foot. (I don't know what he was crossed with). Here's dad, after I gave him a hair cut so he could see:

52617_dscf5201.jpg

And here's the two chicks, on the right:

52617_dscf5325.jpg

The one on the far right has a single comb. I THINK he might be a male. The one in the middle has a silkie type comb and 5 toes on both feet! I think it's a female. She also has green legs. I will be very interested to see how they look grown.

Quote:
Mine also had green legs when they were chicks but the kind of got much darker almost to the point of being black now
Beautiful roo btw.
Maybe it was a White Rock X Silkie.

Last edited:
All 5 of these chicks have the same mom (Nankin Hen) , But do they all have the same dad! The 2 with black skin and 5 toes have been confirmed there dad is the red Silkie Roo. But i am at a loss as to whether the pink/slate legged chicks have another dad or not! The 3 in question have only four toes and pink legs. They are 4 months old!
66341_100_1884.jpg

66341_100_1886.jpg

66341_100_1883.jpg

66341_100_1885.jpg

66341_100_1887.jpg

Back
Top Bottom