Silkie Duck Thread

Pics

Coyote Night

Chirping
7 Years
Dec 24, 2012
Missouri
This is the official Silkie duck thread! These little beauties are growing in popularity and we need a place to share information, pictures etc..... so here it is. Who has silkie ducks? Post some pictures and lets get to chatting about them.

They look interesting, but are they waterproof with that peculiar feather structure?
Yes they are waterproof, they handle the cold just as well as my runners and anconas. The only difference is a wispy silkie feather instead of a smooth feather. Here is a photo for a comparison The blue fawn to the right is a heterozygous silkie that carries the silkie gene but has smooth feathers herself and the blue fawn behind her is a homozygous silkie possessing two silkie genes and showing the silkie feathering.

Dave Holderread is selling his flock of silkies. I bought a few. Hatched my first eggs the other day.

Attachments

• 30449003-69AB-4E76-AFD6-99A610154B86.jpeg
    30449003-69AB-4E76-AFD6-99A610154B86.jpeg
    282.6 KB · Views: 2
Here are some of our silkie ducks! We have white, blue fawn, snowy, pastel, Aleutian and black bibbed in our flock. This will be our first year hatching from them and we have a handful of ducklings coming from Holderread again this year.

Coyote, are you going to be selling hatching eggs from your Silkies this year? I'm going to order some Ancona eggs from you and I'd be tempted to get some Silkies, too, if you are going to sell them.

Good to know.
I read somewhere that the silky feathers would get soaked in water and make the duck unable to swim properly.
But before starting an argument I wanted to ask you whether this is true.
Actually, your ducks look less silky than some I found on the interwebs (but yours look far better than these). Could it be that silkies with even more silky feathers might have problems?
I do not want to provoke you, I'm just curious.

Ok, I see "Silkie" and I see "Silky" as the spelling of these. I'm going to stick with Silky. lol. Thoughts?
I'm thinking Feathersite has them as "Silky", and it differs from Silkie Chicken.

I should go see what Holderreads lists them as.

These are my deep thoughts for today... tune into tomorrow's episode of Theatre vs. Theater. :)

Back
Top Bottom