silkie egg disappointment

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by mustangsaguaro, Jun 14, 2011.

1. mustangsaguaro

mustangsaguaro Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    San Martin, Ca
    So, I candeled a bunch of my eggs this morning. And had total disappointment. I have 11 silkie eggs in there plus, some of my own eggs (5 of my own) and 13 Ameraucana eggs. The silkie eggs were total and udder disappointment. The silkie eggs are on Day 7 in the incubator and out of those 11 I got like 9 clears (didn't look like any were fertile). And had 2 others forming but out of those 2, I had a definite blood ring so that only leaves me one egg forming. I do have another 11 silkie eggs under a broody hen at someones house and hoping those eggs when I go to candle have better results. My question is anyone ever try to hatch silkie eggs w/ that bad of results for candling? Wondering if after I candle the other eggs to see what I'm getting there and if the results are just as bad should I contact the person I got them from to let them know? I know once eggs leave a persons hands and enter the postal system there is no control how they are handled. However, to have that many clear eggs I have never had that happen before. What would you do if you were in my postion?

Earlier in the year I did get other eggs from another breeder and from those eggs (received 13) only had 4 hatch. Had a bunch form but they died for some odd reason when they went into lockdown. I kept 2 of the 4 chicks from that first hatch.

THanks

2. Razadia

Razadia The Odd One

Apr 7, 2011
    Montgomery, Alabama
    There are a few members on here that have a really hard time hatching silkies. I've never hatched silkies, so I'm going off what I remember reading on here.

3. jettgirl24

jettgirl24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2010
    Duvall, WA
    I had a terrible Silkie hatch too... 1 out of 24 hatched. They were shipped though and clearly had a rough ride. I found a breeder of some gorgeous Silkies near me so next time I'm going to try picking them up and see if I get normal results.

4. mustangsaguaro

Nov 30, 2007
    San Martin, Ca
    Quote:I'm out in Ca. and the eggs came from FL so had a ways to travel. I'm thinking that the PO may have shook the box or who knows what happened. Even though it said fragile. Earlier this year I did hatch 4/13 eggs from a different breeder. And initially w/ those eggs on Day 7 I had a lot of ones that I thought were clear, but kept them in the incubator and candled at Day 14 and had embryos forming by then. Hoping that is the case so am still keeping eggs in bator for some hopes. I do however have another 11 eggs under a broody hen. She's not on my property that I'm going to candle on Thur. So I am hoping those eggs are doing a bit better. And I will be taking the one lone egg that I know is good and put under the hen as well.

Can you tell me the breeder you received your eggs from. I see you are in Wa. and that's a bit closer than FL for shipping. And does the breeder have a website? If so would you mind sharing what it is.

Thanks

5. LuvMyBLR

LuvMyBLR Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2010
    New Boston, NH
    Oh I hope that we get a better hatch! I only have 4 silkie eggs! I think I'll keep an eye on this thread to see if there's anything that can help, and who gets good hatches.

6. mustangsaguaro

Nov 30, 2007
    San Martin, Ca
    Quote:Update on my silkie eggs. The 11 eggs that were under the broody hen only 2 had chicks forming w/ a 3rd questionable one. So, the 1 egg that developed in my incubator went under the broody hen today. So she has 4 silkie eggs under her. Keeping fingers crossed I get at least one chick. 24 eggs were sent to me. Out of those 24, 2 were cracked during shipment, leaving 22. And out of those 22 had 18 clears. Absolutely nothing developed. Cracked open the clear eggs that were under broody not sure if after the eggs have been under a hen if you can tell if they were fertile or not. From what I could tell it didn't look like they were. Some of them seemed to be scrambled to. So, blaming this one on the PO.

7. llaaadyel

llaaadyel Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2010
    Lower NY
    I have 7 silkie eggs in the incubator on lockdown. Today is day 20 and I have 1 pip. I heard the chick chirp earlier but nothing since. Of the 7 eggs, it looks like only 3 developed. We will have to see what happens. This is also my fist time doing a dry incubation. I have heard so many good stories that I had to try it.

I keep telling myself that it can take 24 hours for the pipped egg to hatch but the waiting really is hard even when you know what is true.

8. cherprit

cherprit Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2011
    Hi Neighbor!

Another silkie lover here in Gilroy. I actually had a great hatch from my first shipped eggs (silkies) I got 9 out of 12. I have 9 in the bator now, just candled at 1 week, and they all look good except 1.

I think I might mention it to the seller. I know it's a gamble to get them through the mail, but that sounds a little excessive. [​IMG]

9. MuskokaChick

MuskokaChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2011
    Muskoka Region Ontario
    I have 8 silky eggs in the incubator...I candled them last night (only Day 2 in there) but the hen was sitting on two for a few days before I decided to incubate...and those two def had the veins going on...the other ones still too early to tell...not sure how these two eggs ahead of the others will affect the hatch...my first time as well...

Temp 98 to 100 and humidity at 45%...turning them 3 times/day in a homemade incubator *fingers crossed*

10. mustangsaguaro

Nov 30, 2007
    San Martin, Ca
    Quote:how far ahead are those other 2 eggs the hen was sitting on. If they are a few days ahead of the other ones your gonna need 2 incubators. One to act as a hatcher and one as an incubator. Day 18 eggs don't need to be turned and humiditiy should go up. I'd suggest if that hen is still broody to put the eggs she had back under her. I say this because of the time difference in eggs your gonna have to do a staggered hatch and unless you have 2 incubators the eggs behind the other 2 may or may not hatch cause they are gonna need to continue to be turned plus humidity should not go up on those until Day 18.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by