Silkie egg oddly shaped

Annalyse

Songster
Mar 24, 2020
New Jersey
Went out to collect eggs and my silkie egg is weirdly shaped and a little bigger than the rest. She just started and this was her fourth egg. The picture shows from left to right in order of her first egg. The one on the end to the right is the oddly shaped one. Any ideas

Attachments

MadamPoofyBrow

Songster
Jun 15, 2015
Chickens will often lay strange eggs when they first start laying, and in my experience, silkies do it more than anyone else. It’s not anything to worry about - just her system getting used to laying eggs :)

BigBlueHen53

We will get through this... together!
Premium Feather Member
Mar 5, 2019
SE Missouri, USA
Well ... maybe. What kinds of treats do you give, how much and how often? It's very important that the bulk of your chickens' nutrition come from the scientifically balanced feed they get from their commercially prepared feed. Too many goodies can certainly interfere with that, just like giving your kids all the soda, chips and ice cream they want will keep them from eating their veggies. 😉

Annalyse

Songster
Mar 24, 2020
New Jersey
Well ... maybe. What kinds of treats do you give, how much and how often? It's very important that the bulk of your chickens' nutrition come from the scientifically balanced feed they get from their commercially prepared feed. Too many goodies can certainly interfere with that, just like giving your kids all the soda, chips and ice cream they want will keep them from eating their veggies. 😉
Ive been giving them breaks. I give them these yellow something mealworms that have the meat in them and not just shell there dried. They only get some if they all jump out of the coop while I'm getting the eggs because its a heard of bulls coming at me so I throw some in the coop to get them back in. Sometimes its everyday other times I can get them in without but rarely

Top Bottom