Silkie eggs

ozark hen

Living My Dream
15 Years
Apr 4, 2007
Mansfield, MO
Could someone please post some pictures of silkie eggs? I have one silkie hen who is five months old now and I do not know if she is laying eggs yet or not? I can only assume they will be really small? I have red stars, cochins, b.orps and ee's laying right now and am thinking she must be laying too? Thanks a bunch ahead of time.

Hi Ozark, I tried to send a pic from my camera phone to Ed's camera phone to upload to my PC but i dont have enough credit on my ph till tommorrow, I have a decent pic, however they are 3/4 the size of a standard chicken egg and smaller still if they are pullets.
Hopefully someone else can help out in the meantime.
Sorry
Helen

Last edited:
Yes, they are small, about half the size of a normal egg, and usually pale brown. You'll know if your Silkie is laying along with your standards because it will be the smallest egg out of the bunch.

Here's a pic of our 1st Silky egg...

47b7ce34b3127ccebe2affa4e84100000036100FYtm7ho2Y-

Hope this helps!

Dawn

Well, thanks guys. I was worried that she had laid an egg and I missed it! I assume they will stay that small? I have three silkies and couldn't tell what sex they were till about a month ago when my Ty Pennington started crowing. It was just too funny to hear him. Now he chases the big girls and cracks us up! I have a white one and a black one. I was guessing the black one was a hen since her head was rounded and the white one's head had some "off-shoot" long feathers like Ty's. I was right finally as the white one..who up to now was called blondie
idunno.gif
and the hen was called Rod Stewart. Well, now I have to rename them. White one finally crowed yesterday. I still don't think I am finding the one silkie's eggs yet. I go into the coop several times a day and only see my big girls in the nesting boxes(which are on the floor). I have never seen my silkie in a nesting box so she may be hiding them somewhere outside since they all free range. I really appreciate the photos.
I will watch for your photo, too, Helen. Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom