Silkie experts

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by kelidei, Aug 16, 2011.

1. kelidei

kelidei ~*Dances with chickens*~

Mar 18, 2009
    Northern Illinois
    Below are two of my hatches. A couple of weeks after my silkies started laying I had some Porcelain d'Uccle eggs going into the bator so I threw two of my silkie eggs in too. Now I am hoping for some gender guesses and color guesses... also could they be silkie/d'Uccle crosses. They are about 7 weeks old.

This one I am hoping is a girl but not sure...smaller than the other one. Also is this considered white. It is hard to tell but the feathers may have a beige/yellow cast... if you look near the crown they look "tinted" but otherwise look white

[​IMG]

This one I am pretty sure is a boy.. comparing it to my silkie roo at the same age. I have no idea what this coloring would be called... any suggestions? Thanks!

[​IMG]

2. comptonsgonecountry

comptonsgonecountry Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    As far as being mixed, I'm not sure. Also, it's a little to early to tell the sex of the chicks but I will stick my neck out and guess. I believe #2 is a roo. Not sure on #1.

I have a male silkie roo that had me guessing his sex until he was 12 weeks of age. Around 12 weeks be belted out his first crow! He developed a rose comb early on and now it's a big mess on his head [​IMG]

3. Obyli

Obyli Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2011
    California Torrance
    sorry, both roos

4. kelidei

kelidei ~*Dances with chickens*~

Mar 18, 2009
    Northern Illinois
    Quote:Is it the combs and the slick back hairdos? I kinda thought the white one was a boy... but willing to have hope until told otherwise [​IMG]

5. hokankai

hokankai Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2010
    SW WA
    I have a 3 month old rooster and his comb is the same size as the ones you have...so I have to say roos on both.

6. Obyli

Obyli Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2011
    California Torrance
    I have 4 silkies and when they are around 7-10 weeks, 3 of their hair were pretty slick back. I was hoping just not to have all roos. But right now they are 16 weeks old. I am thinking that 2 of them turned into a hen. So now i am thinking that i have 3 hen and 1 roo(Hopefully...). Its hard to tell tho. Or maybe even all hens for now. If their hair is slick back, it doesn't mean they are a roo for sure. Just like their comb and waddle some hen's comb and waddle are huge!
    Not a expert cause this is my 16th weeks having chickens haha.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2011
  7. HappyChickenLover

HappyChickenLover Chillin' With My Peeps

I'd say cockerals, however rule of thumb with silkies is to lay them on their back in ur hand and get them to relax is it keeps the leggs in to its belly female, if it spreads both out male, if it lays one leg out and other in probly a female but might surprise u

8. zengrrl

zengrrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    Oakland County, MI
    I've been told with Silkies at 5 months they either crow or lay an egg. Mine are nearly 6 months, one crowed and no eggs so far. [​IMG]

9. OkChickenNerd

OkChickenNerd Out Of The Brooder

Aug 11, 2011
    Texoma, Oklahoma
    First one is white. As for sex i would say roo but it may surprise us all yet!!!!

Second is a splash and i am going to say a roo.

10. sunnysongbird

sunnysongbird Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2011
    The first one seems to be a roo. My roo looked JUST like him when he was young [​IMG]
    second one... I'm not quite sure... best of luck w/ both!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by