Silkie eye swollen

Chickenma65

Chirping
Aug 23, 2019
From my friend who’s silkie has a swollen eye. This is everything she has done. Been going on for a month. She also flushed it with colloidal Silver a few times.

I am lost what else to do for my daughters silkie chicken. I first noticed her one eye was swollen. I brought her to the house to watch her. I have her LA200 injection (1st dose then 3 days later 2nd dose).
It didn't get better. Now she has denegard in her water and still no improvement. Today it looks even more swollen. Its just the one eye, she seems fine other wise. She did start to molt the same time I noticed her eye to swell. I dont think she can see out of it now. I had her tested for MG and that was negative. Any other suggestions that I can do?

Attachments

• AA6192B9-3325-4696-BDF0-82871CF8B048.jpeg
    AA6192B9-3325-4696-BDF0-82871CF8B048.jpeg
    86.3 KB · Views: 7
  • 36B489C5-7E04-478F-ACA5-2D31C5B05EE1.jpeg
    36B489C5-7E04-478F-ACA5-2D31C5B05EE1.jpeg
    103.9 KB · Views: 4
Who tested her for MG and how was that test performed?

How much Denagard are you using and for how many days?

Her eye area looks very swollen, which can be from pus from a sinus infection. The pus needs to come out. Did your vet do a swab culture of her nasal or throat to test for MG? Does she have a bad odor from her face? If it is not MG, it could be coryza or another respiratory disease, or a secondary infection with E.coli or other common bacteria. Here is a video of getting pus out of a sinus:

Her eye area looks very swollen, which can be from pus from a sinus infection. The pus needs to come out. Did your vet do a swab culture of her nasal or throat to test for MG? Does she have a bad odor from her face? If it is not MG, it could be coryza or another respiratory disease, or a secondary infection with E.coli or other common bacteria. Here is a video of getting pus out of a sinus:
Thank you, not sure how she swabbed fit mg. She did it herself and it in how the vet told her too.

also is it’s respiratory or anything wouldn’t the other chickens get sick? She separated this one when she noticed it. No one else is sick

Not always. Chickens can get exposed to MG or other diseases, and not show any symptoms. It can lie dormant in the body and one day show up if they are stressed. Denagard is said to have a bad taste, and sometimes chickens won’t drink enough. She can try flavoring the water, or mixing a small amount of feed with medicated water. Terramycin eye ointment or plain Neosporin ointment can be applied to the swollen eye after it is cleaned twice a day.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom