Silkie first time mama

smoon

Chirping
Apr 27, 2016
I slipped some babies underneath my silkie hen, who took right to them. She had been broody for 23 days.

My question is, when will she stop acting like she is incubating them like eggs? For three days, she has stayed put on her nest with them under her. I take them out to make sure they eat and drink, and I bring her food and water by hand. I took them all outside today and she just plopped right on the ground, coaxing them to to back underneath her. Refusing to stand up. I felt bad so I put them back in their nest. I'm just wondering, how long does it usually take them to hop up and start roaming around with their new chicks?

I am more worried about my little hen than I am her babies. They come out to eat, but she does not. Is this normal?

silkies are notoriously broody and can be hard to get into mom mode.... some do fine others not so much... I'm not sure if maybe you keep coaxing her off the nest that she may eventually just stop trying to hatch and start trying to go into mom mode... worth a shot... I'm sure someone more experienced with this will be able to chime in though

It is normal for them to stay in place for the first week. My frizzled cochins will stay on the nest for about a week before beginning to move off. Put food and water close, she will eventually start going farther with them.

It is normal for them to stay in place for the first week. My frizzled cochins will stay on the nest for about a week before beginning to move off. Put food and water close, she will eventually start going farther with them.

Back
Top Bottom