Silkie Gender Help!!!

PoultryQueen29

Songster
8 Years
Sep 26, 2011
North Carolina
I picked up this black silkie chick yesterday. She is almost 2 months old. I'm praying she is a pullet because I cant have crowing where I live. I actually got her because I thought she looked the most like a pullet. She doesnt really have any comb development and her crest and tail are soft and poofy. Excuse the bad pictures. She wouldnt stop moving.

107741_img_0247-1.jpg

107741_img_0252-1.jpg

107741_img_0245-1.jpg

Last edited:
Quote:
What led you to thinking that? I'm not very experienced at sexing silkies because I have only had 3 (they all ended up being pullets) so I want to know what to look for.

Quote:
I know they can! The blue pullet I used to have tricked me into thinking she was a rooster! She had a tiny swept back crest and rough, pointy hackles, and a rooster attitude. She was always chasing the others and nipping bacause she was the dominant hen (which I later figured out). Everything pointed to rooster and even the people at the hatchery thought she was a rooster when I went to give her back. A month or two later I went back to get pullet chicks of a different breed and the guy said she ended up being a pullet. Here is a pic of her.

107741_img_0029-1.jpg

Thought I'd give you some references from images of my blue silkie at 8 weeks old. She is a pullet.

Lorraine.jpg

IMGP8510.jpg

IMGP8470.jpg

IMGP8454.jpg

all the above are of Lorraine @ 2 months old.

IMG_0688.jpg

She is 5 months old here.

IMG_0676.jpg

Rooster - You can see the streamers, long hackle feathers that look like a mullet. These feathers are very coarse compared to a pullet.

See how much broader his chest is. How much higher he is off the ground? These are all signs of a silkie rooster.

I think you are safe. I'm 95% sure you have yourself a pullet!

Quote:
I know they can! The blue pullet I used to have tricked me into thinking she was a rooster! She had a tiny swept back crest and rough, pointy hackles, and a rooster attitude. She was always chasing the others and nipping bacause she was the dominant hen (which I later figured out). Everything pointed to rooster and even the people at the hatchery thought she was a rooster when I went to give her back. A month or two later I went back to get pullet chicks of a different breed and the guy said she ended up being a pullet. Here is a pic of her.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/107741_img_0029-1.jpg

tongue.png
I would have guessed pullet on this one here. She has such a girly face! The hatchery silkies do not do the breed justice. Their top knots are so small!

What did you name your new girl?

Back
Top Bottom