Wrangler of the Tiny Raptors
Premium Feather Member
Oct 10, 2021
Topeka, KS
Cockerel

Pullet

Looks like a pullet

I don't think this one's a cockerel

This one has a big comb but it's red. But I might see streamers? I'm not sure.

Pullet
I hope you’re right! I only want to keep one cockerel so I’d be pretty happy if there are more pullers than I thought.

Lizzy733

Crowing
Nov 13, 2018
New Zealand
I swear silkies change from one week to the next. You may need to wait for eggs - don't take crowing as a definite. My white hen screams when she's going into lay and it rivals any crow. Was about to bring her back as a boy when she laid her first fairy egg.

Especially with the foof, it can come in unevenly from time to time and look a bit streamery.

blackacres

Wrangler of the Tiny Raptors
Premium Feather Member
Oct 10, 2021
Topeka, KS
I swear silkies change from one week to the next. You may need to wait for eggs - don't take crowing as a definite. My white hen screams when she's going into lay and it rivals any crow. Was about to bring her back as a boy when she laid her first fairy egg.

Especially with the foof, it can come in unevenly from time to time and look a bit streamery.
They are my first silkies so I’m learning exactly how hard it is to tell! Only 2 of them haven’t changed much. That’s bird 1 and bird 3, which are the only ones I’ve never 2nd guessed.

Lizzy733

Crowing
Nov 13, 2018
New Zealand
They are my first silkies so I’m learning exactly how hard it is to tell! Only 2 of them haven’t changed much. That’s bird 1 and bird 3, which are the only ones I’ve never 2nd guessed.
I just brought a new girl home yesterday who's POL or laying as there were eggs in her run where she was kept with other girls.

Her foof has a few spiky looking feathers, but it seems like they're just a bit over prominent due to how dense the underlayer is there. I've seen my known girl have that before too.

My first was raised with a small flock of shavers and I brought her home at 2 weeks old as a complete gamble. I did luck out in the end though.

Top Bottom