1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Silkie Genders?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by bantychicken, Mar 18, 2016.

1. bantychicken

bantychicken Out Of The Brooder

Nov 30, 2013
    Salisbury, Maryland
    I got two silkie baby's from my work about three weeks ago (They are three to four weeks old is my guess)
    [​IMG] this is the bigger one

[​IMG] this is the smaller one

I call the bigger one Fluff and the smaller one Cotton. Just as I typed that Fluff charged my Golden Sebright Bantam hen Pharoah
    [​IMG]

I'm really hoping I have two hens. Could anyone tell me more? I'll be happy to take more pictures if needed

[​IMG]

2. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    They're both too young to sex accurately, and I don't see any cockerel signs yet. Both males and females can exhibit fighting/charging behavior.

3. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    x2.

4. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Agreed

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    MUCH too young to determine gender. Silkies are one of the hardest breeds to determine before 4-5 mos. of age and sometimes NOT till they crow or lay eggs. At younger ages people can tell you whatever gender you want - it doesn't mean they will mature that way. Are these hatchery chicks?

6. bantychicken

bantychicken Out Of The Brooder

Nov 30, 2013
    Salisbury, Maryland

Yes they are. I work at Tractor Supply and we get chicks in in the spring time and that's where I got them from

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by