Silkie Genetic ?

LauraSBale

Songster
11 Years
Aug 3, 2008
Linden, Mich S/W of Flint
Mom is a White Silkie, Mommy silkie was not happy about getting her pic taken this morning, so i don't have a pic of her
Dad not sure what you would call his color
and 5 of there kids I have not gotten any whites,
is there a Genetic reason why all the kids are pretty much the same color,

~Dad
14027_new_camera_pic_11-5-09_064.jpg

~Dad and baby 13 weeks old, they didn't want to come out of the dog house
14027_new_camera_pic_11-5-09_067.jpg

14027_new_camera_pic_11-5-09_065.jpg

~New baby's 1 week old today, these guys have more grey to them than the 13 week old
14027_new_camera_pic_11-5-09_080.jpg

14027_new_camera_pic_11-5-09_077.jpg

Daddy is a splash...are you sure the mother of these chicks was white? Looks more like the mother could be the other blue one in the second picture!!!
hmm.png

I understand that white silkies are recessive, so although mom will give a white gene to all her babies, it will be trumped by everything else the chicks are given. Picture homozygous recessive white as a curtain that covers all her other color genes: Take away one of the white genes, and the curtain is lifted to reveal the color she would have been had she not been white. In her case, since her chicks are all blue, she seems to have a black base. She would have to be bred to a white roo or one of her descendants in order to have white chicks, but now you may be able to predict what colors her babies will be if bred to other colors!

Last edited:
Quote:
thanks, I understand completely

I breed chinchillas, and they have recessive genes, and once in while it will pop up at any given time, it may take 2 to 5 generations, you think you have a pure line, and 8 litters down another mutation pops up.

Back
Top Bottom