Silkie Genetics Question???

Egg_newton

Songster
10 Years
Jun 19, 2009
East Central Indiana
I Postied this in the Wrong Section. So, now I'm posting in the right one. Sorry for the duplication.

I bought some hatching eggs off e-bay all but one of them hatched!!! Pretty good for shipped eggs. I am wanting to know what colors I have. I bought B/B/S eggs and threw in 2 from my white silkies.
34758_img_2858.jpg
The one on the right has yellow feet and beak, but has five toes. It is black with a yellow top knot and face with black around it eyes. I e-mailed the lady and asked if maybe a rooster sneaked in from another pen or she got an egg mixed up from another pen, and I wasn't sure if it hatched out of a blue, black, or splash egg since my broody orp hatched them for me. She replied there was no way it was a mix and probably came out of her black silkie pen. She said they were blacks that had not been mixed for several generations but occasionally a recessive gene will pop up. Is this common?
34758_img_2856.jpg

Will these chicks turn out blue or splash?

Funky Feathers

former Fattie
11 Years
Jan 15, 2009
Maryland
My Coop
My Coop
It can happen. There may be a hidden white gene in her blacks.
bottom pic- left= either dark splash or light blue. Middle=splash. Right=blue.
Just my best guess on the colors.
wink.png

reesepoultry

Songster
10 Years
Jul 4, 2009
The top picture, The one on the far right. Looks like a WCB Polish chick to me.

Last edited:

swheat

The Bantam Barn
Mar 18, 2008
Alabama
My Coop
My Coop
I agree with ReesePoultry- that is a Polish chick(top pic on the right)..maybe she just either sent a wrong egg or possibly mislabeled the egg when gathering them...

Egg_newton

Songster
10 Years
Jun 19, 2009
East Central Indiana
I was thinking it looked like a polish chick myself. But it has five toes and I though Polish only had four. She does have cuckoo silkies and sizzles. Maybe one of those??? I know it is ideal to breed a cuckoo with a black to try for better coloring. I can't find a pic of a cuckoo chick for comparison. Never mind just read a cuckoo chick looks like a blue when born. So, it's not a cuckoo...

Last edited:

Sonoran Silkies

Flock Mistress
11 Years
Jan 4, 2009
Tempe, Arizona
Quote:
More likely houdan since it has 5 toes; also looks mottled. I guess we should ask, though if the feet are feathered on this chick.

A hidden white gene will not cause the chick at the right in the top photo. A cuckoo should look black with a white spot on its head. Will only look blue if it is a blue cuckoo.

Top Bottom