Silkie genetics

Sorry I meant if I cross it with a splash, blue or black rooster
Silkies normally carry a recessive gene called recessive white that inhibits the production of pigments that are added to the feathers. This phenotype is a form of leucism. Silkies that are leucistic could be genetically self-black, partridge or any other phenotype (plumage color) under the white. In genetic language, the recessive white gene causes recessive epistasis, the hidden plumage color is called a hypostatic phenotype and the white plumage is a hyperstatic phenotype.

Splash and blue are genetically a self-black phenotype. Normally when you cross a self-black chicken with another (not dominant white and not self-black) phenotype the F1 offspring are usually some form of a basic black plumage color (phenotype). The F1 offspring are hybrids so they typically show some non-black ( some shade of red or white) in their black plumage. The amount of red or white can vary depending on the bird's genetics.

splash x white ( not self-black) = F1 base blue plumage with some non-blue plumage mixed in with the blue plumage

splash x white ( self black)= F1 blue plumage

blue x white (not self-black) = F1 base blue plumage with some non-blue plumage mixed in with the blue plumage and F1 base black plumage with some non-black plumage mixed in with the blue plumage

blue x white (self-black)= F1 some blue plumage others with black plumage

black x white = black plumage or black ground color with some white or red feathers

It is possible that the white is hypostatic splash /blue under the white. If this is the case, you would view the crosses with respect to how the blue allele interacts with the non-blue allele, blue is incompletely dominant, and other genes. I gave splash as an example.

splash x white (splash)= F1 all splash

blue x white (splash)= F1 blue and splash

black x white (splash)= F1 all blue

There are other possibilities but the phenotypes I posted have the highest probability of being expressed in the F1.

Last edited:
Thank
Silkies normally carry a recessive gene called recessive white that inhibits the production of  pigments that are added to the feathers. This phenotype is a form of leucism. Silkies that are leucistic could be genetically self-black, partridge or any other phenotype (plumage color) under the white. In genetic language, the recessive white gene causes recessive epistasis, the hidden plumage color is called a hypostatic phenotype and the white plumage is a hyperstatic phenotype. 

Splash and blue are genetically a self-black phenotype. Normally when you cross a self-black chicken with another (not dominant white and not self-black) phenotype the F1 offspring are usually some form of a basic black plumage color (phenotype). The F1 offspring are hybrids so they typically show some non-black ( some shade of red or white) in their black plumage. The amount of red or white can vary depending on the bird's genetics.

splash x white ( not self-black)  = F1 base blue plumage with some non-blue plumage mixed in with the blue plumage

splash x white ( self black)= F1 blue plumage

blue  x white (not self-black)  = F1  base blue plumage with some non-blue plumage mixed in with the blue plumage and F1 base black plumage with some non-black plumage mixed in with the blue plumage

blue x white (self-black)= F1 some blue plumage others with black plumage

black x white = black plumage or black ground color with some white or red feathers

It is possible that the white is hypostatic splash /blue under the white. If this is the case, you would view the crosses with respect to how the blue allele interacts with the non-blue allele, blue is  incompletely dominant, and other genes. I gave splash as an example.

splash x white (splash)= F1 all splash

blue x white (splash)= F1 blue and splash

black x white (splash)= F1 all blue

There are other possibilities but the phenotypes I posted have the highest probability of being expressed in the F1.

Thank you very much! Very helpful!

Back
Top Bottom