Silkie has quit laying.

crazyelk

Songster
11 Years
Aug 25, 2008
Kentucky
My silkie hen has quit laying now 4 days. She is not sitting on the eggs either. My question is will she start sitting soon or will she start laying again?

Thanks

Join the crew. Its VERY frustrating isnt it. Give her some time, and she should start laying again. 'Tis the time of year for molts, broodiness, or just plan vacations....

She may start sitting even though she doesnt have any eggs. Its been said that silkies will try to hatch a door knob if given the chance. And I've seen more than enough Silkies brood "Air", meaning they are broody but not sitting on anything at all...

Last edited by a moderator:
me too. I predict she will do neither, instead she will peck and scratch for two solid weeks and look at you like "What CHOO lookin' at?" and then she will start to molt!
lol.png

So do you think I should go ahead and put the eggs in the bator. I was hoping to let her sit them for me. I have never got to watch that process.

I'd put them in the bator. Maybe you can slip them under her if she starts setting in a few days... I am in the same quandry. I need someone to start setting, pronto!

Back
Top Bottom