Silkie Hatch with problems

danikiser

Chirping
Dec 13, 2016
Hello!

I have been incubating 5 Silkie eggs. They have been in a brinsea with some duck eggs. Temps and humidity staying normal. They were due to hatch on the 14th. 2 pipped on the 12th and hatched on the 13th. 2 more hatched on the 14th. All hatched without help.

One from the 13th is perfect and beautiful and she knows it.

One from the 13th after a few hours developed a bit of wry neck, I have been treating it with nutridrench, and while it still favors holding the head to the left, it is eating and drinking just fine.

One from the 14th hatched fine, but developed a bit of splay leg, that was corrected in a day with a rubber band and straw.

And the last one from the 14th, was born with only one eye. The other eye isn't quite normal either. She too was having troubles keeping her legs underneath her, so I used a rubber band and straw on her too. Looked like it was helping. She seems otherwise normal, I have been feeding her nutridrench and a porridge of egg yolk, chick starter, and water. Today she seems to have gotten a bit worse, she is now pushing her legs out from under her and can't stay upright unless there is some support on her back. I have been giving her something every few hours and trying to stand her upright when she is awake. I keep her in a towel right now, in my bra to keep her close.

The 5th egg, I heard some faint tapping on the 14th, but nothing happened. On the 15th, I couldn't see or hear anything, I had never pipped internally so I was nervous about cracking it open. I did so in the middle of the night, and it was fully formed, the yolk sac almost completely absorbed, but it was malpositioned and facing the wrong way. I guess it just couldn't break through.

Anyways, don't know if I am doing things right or not, if anyone has any suggestions about the little one eyed baby I'd appreciate it. I thought I would wait until tomorrow and see if there is any improvement before thinking of culling her. I'm wondering if I shouldn't write to the person that sold me the eggs and tell them, maybe their hens aren't getting enough vitamins? My 5 month old silkie hen is taking quite a shine to the babies, shes been an only chicken all her life. Afraid to leave them together unattended, should I be?

Hello!

I have been incubating 5 Silkie eggs. They have been in a brinsea with some duck eggs. Temps and humidity staying normal. They were due to hatch on the 14th. 2 pipped on the 12th and hatched on the 13th. 2 more hatched on the 14th. All hatched without help.

One from the 13th is perfect and beautiful and she knows it.

One from the 13th after a few hours developed a bit of wry neck, I have been treating it with nutridrench, and while it still favors holding the head to the left, it is eating and drinking just fine.

One from the 14th hatched fine, but developed a bit of splay leg, that was corrected in a day with a rubber band and straw.

And the last one from the 14th, was born with only one eye. The other eye isn't quite normal either. She too was having troubles keeping her legs underneath her, so I used a rubber band and straw on her too. Looked like it was helping. She seems otherwise normal, I have been feeding her nutridrench and a porridge of egg yolk, chick starter, and water. Today she seems to have gotten a bit worse, she is now pushing her legs out from under her and can't stay upright unless there is some support on her back. I have been giving her something every few hours and trying to stand her upright when she is awake. I keep her in a towel right now, in my bra to keep her close.

The 5th egg, I heard some faint tapping on the 14th, but nothing happened. On the 15th, I couldn't see or hear anything, I had never pipped internally so I was nervous about cracking it open. I did so in the middle of the night, and it was fully formed, the yolk sac almost completely absorbed, but it was malpositioned and facing the wrong way. I guess it just couldn't break through.

Anyways, don't know if I am doing things right or not, if anyone has any suggestions about the little one eyed baby I'd appreciate it. I thought I would wait until tomorrow and see if there is any improvement before thinking of culling her. I'm wondering if I shouldn't write to the person that sold me the eggs and tell them, maybe their hens aren't getting enough vitamins? My 5 month old silkie hen is taking quite a shine to the babies, shes been an only chicken all her life. Afraid to leave them together unattended, should I be?
WhatsApp Image 2017-06-13 at 5.59.27 PM.jpeg one eye.jpg

I had a hatch of 5 silkie eggs also, all but two hatched flawlessly. The first one had a dry patch on the membrane due to the hen leaving the nest for a break after it pipped, so I stuck the other eggs in the incubator. I took off the dry bit, and put it back under the hen... It started SCREAMING and next thing I knew it burst out of the egg like a chestburster from alien!
I was worried it had the yolk sac attached, but what was the case was it kicked free from the egg so hard, it ripped the poop sac out of the egg and took it with it, cord and all. The cord and poop sac later dried out and dropped off.

The 5th egg is having issues right now as it is pipped in the middle of the egg instead of at the air sac, it is very lively though and chirpy, so I am leaving it to see what happens. I did shine an egg torch through the air sac and I noticed the bump in the membrane, which I know is the beak as it nipped at me through it when I was feeling for it when keeping the membrane damp, moving up, so it may make a proper pip there hopefully. It has air as it did make a hole in the middle of the egg.

Also, your cat looks like mine. She has the same "What the flib is this?" reaction to the chicks also, giving a confused sniff before trotting off. :p But she somewhat tolerates them when they make good blankets.
Cat and Silkie.png

Just to give you an update, the one eyed chick passed away last night. She wasn't meant to make it, but she got some love.

Back
Top Bottom