Silkie Hatching Eggs! Questions

Chaoth

Chirping
May 19, 2019
My silkie hen (Choji) is currently hatching eggs! 1 chick came out yesterday, and another was fresh out of the egg this morning (haven't gotten a pic of the second one yet). Both parents were pure white when we got them, but the papa turned into a splash variant with brown on his head.. both chicks are grey so far! Isn't that neat?

IMG_20210509_1807332.jpg

This is my first time hatching chicks, and I realized mama had some of the eggs not fully under her this morning so they were getting really cold.. should I be concerned? Is she rejecting them? For context, she's never hatched chicks before this and she has 8 eggs under her (including the chicks). I think they were 3 days overdue when they started hatching/pipping yesterday.. should I just leave them alone?
Also, will mama leave the nest while the chicks are hatching still?

So far the chicks look really healthy, and I've been making sure mama goes out once a day before now ((never forcing her)). I'm hopeful that more than two of the eight hatch, but I've only been hearing those two chirping so far.

Thank you!

Update: 5/8 of the eggs made it! 2 eggs were not fertile and 1 sadly passed away because of the cold during night.
The mama is pure white, papa is a splash variant.. can that make a blue variant?? All of the babies are varying shades of grey. Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_20210512_114816~2.jpg
    IMG_20210512_114816~2.jpg
    697.2 KB · Views: 9

Back
Top Bottom