Silkie Hatchlings Needing help

Shearjenn

Chirping
Apr 16, 2018
So, I ordered 6 Silkie hatching eggs. Only two of the silkie eggs I placed hatched out & both are/were not looking good initially. Navals looked not completely healed. They both hatched late compared to other shipped eggs placed at the same time (Maran). 8 out of 10 of those hatched healthy... They were placed in a Circulated air styrofoam incubator... humidity stayed fairly consistent as it was monitored closely... Temps were checked regularly with digital meat thermometer... They were in an automatic rotator tray & the Bator was Opened as infrequently as possible. Candled 3X. I Assumed hatch would be more difficult as this was my first experience with shipped eggs & it seems shipped eggs rarely do as well as eggs that don't endure poor conditions. However, I set 10 maran eggs & 8 of those hatched happy & healthy & were shipped as well. I should note they pipped a full 48 prior to the silkies & that shipment of eggs got lost in the mail for an entire day. What a nightmare!

Which brings us to now, One has torticollis (whry ?) I think from what I've been reading. The other seems to be shaping up well. It has been very touch & go with both. 24 hours old as of 4:00pm today

I am just in knots over this. I just know it's probably not going to make it. The neck seems to be getting worse rather than better, the poor thing is weak. Unsure if it's eaten or had anything other than a few droplets of water with electrolyte solution, probiotic, & vitamin in it B12 included.
I have zero experience dealing with this condition. I'm hoping you may be able to offer some insight.
It's entirely possible I'm missing something obvious. I've only had chickens for one year now. But, they've really become part of our lives here.
Thank you for any advice or input you have!

Thank you!
I have vitamin E capsules in the medicine cabinet.
Organic... Encased in gel capsules. Do you think I could just drip a little at the side of the mouth? After cutting capsule open of coarse... Or am I going to potentially giving her/him too much? Also... Do you think those would be sufficient? I mean they're meant for human consumption. So they should be safe. Right? I will look into the Nutri drench now. Thanks!

Generally, 400 IU daily is given to chickens with wry neck symptoms. It can help to use B1 thiamine as well, just in a chicken vitamin or in foods rich in thiamine. E is a fat soluble vitamin, so it can be bad to use too large of a dose, unles you can find water soluble E.
Thank you for your input! Unfortunately... I will have to wait until morning to start that regimen then, so I can hit a supply store. :( I will be sure the little one doesn't get dehydrated between now & then.

Back
Top Bottom