Silkie head feathers

well, due to the eye infections most of her birds are completely blind now. The vet told her all those infections are due to the feathers but she refuses to cut them since then they wouldn't look so pretty anymore........(all the feathers around the eyes are clumped up with ooze from the eyes anyways, I told her to clip too but no...).
She now talks a whole lot when going to her chickens, so that they know where she is.
Her sexlink layers wear bells on their feet so the polish can avoid them.

Quote:
Oh my word! That's SO sad!!!! She should be reported! I have polish and silkies and they don't get eye infections from the feathers...it sounds like a major illness that is going through her flock. That just makes me sad!!! Tell her about the hair tape.
smile.png

letting them go blind by not trimming feathers and getting eye infections is neglect in my book.

I show Silkies and do very well at it, 4 champ and reserve featherlegs and two grand champions this year alone. I bought the hair tape for the birds, but, some birds cooperate with having it in, some do not. Most of mine have it out within 4 hours of putting it on, so I gave up doing it. I do however, before shows, put booties on the birds to keep their foot feathers clean after bathing. I just take them out before judging begins.

That is awesome Blisschick!! Stacey !!! What a beautiful girl.

They sell those mini clips at the dollar store too. Last night I cut a little piece of an ace bandage and put it on one of the silkie's heads. It is still in, but about half of it is out. I can see her eyes though. I really think she can see better, she is looking all over the place. tehe

There were just a few feathers from the bottom getting in her eyes, and I triimmed those. I mean a feather here and there, not much at all. I probably shouldn't have done the trim but I hate to see them with feathers stuck in their eyes. I think I will try the mini clips to see if that works better. They would be very colorful.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom