Silkie HELP!!!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by cassiedavis, Aug 17, 2011.

1. cassiedavis

cassiedavis Out Of The Brooder

Nov 23, 2010
    Placer county CA
    Needing some help on my silkies! I purchased them both at the same feed store. One seems to be bearded and more hair on legs and the other not. Also CAn you tell if male of female yet or should I just wait for a crow or egg??

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. stellacat

stellacat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2011
    I am not the expert so don't make any decisions because of me but those look like a non-bearded(first) and bearded(second) cockerels to me.

3. joe17

joe17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2009
    Louisiana
    I can't really tell what gender they are but they look more like girls right now. Usually the combs are much bigger on the males. How old are they? That can change things.

4. SilkieMomma

SilkieMomma Out Of The Brooder

Oct 5, 2010
    I think it looks like #1 is a non-bearded beauty (hen) and the second a bearded beauty (hen). Really hard to tell on silkies until they are quite older but if I had to guess I would think maybe you got lucky with 2 girls![​IMG]

5. mama24

mama24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2010
    GSO, NC
    I think they're girls. [​IMG]

6. Rosaleen

Rosaleen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2011
    Danville, Vermont
    I purchased 4 silkies (very young and various ages) this summer and three of them turned out to be cockerels. The fourth is still young and I'm hoping it will be a pullet. I already gave one of the boys away and someone else is interested in another. In addition to these four, I bought 2 cochins (very young) they are also cockerels. Very disappointed.

7. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

How old are they?? If they're at least about 10-12 weeks, I'd say the beardless is a pullet. I'm not certain on the bearded one though... Your beardless one looks a little like a muppet character [​IMG]

8. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    They are both partially bearded. Well, the second could be fully bearded, but just have a poor beard. Genetically muff/beard is an incompletely dominant gene, meaning that when a bird has one copy for beared and oe for nonbearded, the result will be intermediate between bearded and non-bearded, aka partially bearded.

At the moment they look feminine, but absolutely no promised. You will probably know by the time they are 4-6 months old. Takes longer to tell with exhibition lines than with hatchery birds.

9. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

Right now they both look like girls.

10. smokeykk

smokeykk Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    They both look like boys to me. The one with wattles is a non-bearded and the one without is bearded

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by