Silkie HELP!!!

cassiedavis

In the Brooder
9 Years
Nov 23, 2010
Placer county CA
Needing some help on my silkies! I purchased them both at the same feed store. One seems to be bearded and more hair on legs and the other not. Also CAn you tell if male of female yet or should I just wait for a crow or egg??

IMG_4619.jpg

IMG_4618.jpg

IMG_4614.jpg

IMG_4613.jpg

I am not the expert so don't make any decisions because of me but those look like a non-bearded(first) and bearded(second) cockerels to me.

I can't really tell what gender they are but they look more like girls right now. Usually the combs are much bigger on the males. How old are they? That can change things.

I think it looks like #1 is a non-bearded beauty (hen) and the second a bearded beauty (hen). Really hard to tell on silkies until they are quite older but if I had to guess I would think maybe you got lucky with 2 girls!
thumbsup.gif

I purchased 4 silkies (very young and various ages) this summer and three of them turned out to be cockerels. The fourth is still young and I'm hoping it will be a pullet. I already gave one of the boys away and someone else is interested in another. In addition to these four, I bought 2 cochins (very young) they are also cockerels. Very disappointed.

How old are they?? If they're at least about 10-12 weeks, I'd say the beardless is a pullet. I'm not certain on the bearded one though... Your beardless one looks a little like a muppet character
tongue.png

They are both partially bearded. Well, the second could be fully bearded, but just have a poor beard. Genetically muff/beard is an incompletely dominant gene, meaning that when a bird has one copy for beared and oe for nonbearded, the result will be intermediate between bearded and non-bearded, aka partially bearded.

At the moment they look feminine, but absolutely no promised. You will probably know by the time they are 4-6 months old. Takes longer to tell with exhibition lines than with hatchery birds.

Back
Top Bottom