Silkie hen and chicks with DRY light brown crust at nostrils??

jkzimm04

In the Brooder
8 Years
Apr 7, 2011
I have a silkie hen and 7 chicks who have a crusty brown discharge around their nostrils. I have two other silkies, one roo and one hen in the same coop, but they are separate from the mom and babies and I see no crust on their nostrils. There is no wet discharge at all that I can see. When I listen to them breathing, I don't hear any wet or raspy sounds...they sound to me like they are breathing normal. They eat fine and they act fine. The hen however when she eats, she is eating like a little piggy and I noticed within the past week when she eats, she half chokes and makes a half cackle/coughing sound. She then seems like she works it all out and continues to eat. None of the others do that, just her. So that's why I'm guessing she is just being a piggy. But the crust around their noses bother me. Any advice? I'm just wondering what it may be and what I need to do if anything to treat them to clear it up. Thanks so much in advance
smile.png

Quote:
I am no authority by any means , could be an early respiratory problem and it is dried mucous , but no raspy coughing . Hmmmmm . Can you see anything down her throat ? Can you feel any lumps in her throat . Are her eyes clear or the ones that have the crusty beaks ?

I see nothing in their throats and their eyes are totally clear. The only symptom that they have is the dry, brown crust on their beaks. Nothing more. The crust reminds me of their food. It looks as though it got wet and pasted to their nostrils. Their is no crust anywhere else on them.

I looked when I was out earlier and I saw nothing. The only thing I could feel was her crop and she had some food in there, but it wasn't out of the ordinary. I've dealt with impacted and sour crop, so I don't think it's that. It's really the crust that is concerning me. I think she is eating too fast and just being a piggy.

If it comes back, what does that mean? Someone mentioned gape worm with the hen choking. I looked down in there and I didn't see a thing. This crust though, can anyone help me??

If it comes back, what does that mean? Someone mentioned gape worm with the hen choking. I looked down in there and I didn't see a thing. This crust though, can anyone help me??

Back
Top Bottom