Silkie with nose discharge

har97

In the Brooder
Jun 24, 2020
Hello all, I have a new silkie I just got last week with 4 others when I got home it was very evident one was sick she just stood hunched up almost like a chicken with coccidia I had started her on corrid then also noticed mites on her so treated her for them but unfortunately she passed now one of the others has bubbles coming out of his nose yesterday morning and this morning he has yellow crust around his nostrils the other 3 seem fine and this one doesn’t act sick so far except they do all have minimally dirty butts the one that passed had a very dirty butt what can I do for the one with nasal discharge and is there anything else I can do for the others as a preventive I do plan on putting diatomaceous on them and in their bedding just in case of mites since I saw some on the one that died but what else can be done? Thanks in advance for any advice. Picture of chicken with nose discharge
534D39F0-47FE-4457-9CF2-F8AE9D071395.jpeg

You can treat it with tylan but if you have other birds and have these quarantined, I'd cull them and let the seller know that they are selling sick birds and ask for a refund.
If its mycoplasma or respiratory disease, it can be treated but Treated birds are often carriers for life.
Sorry about that.

Hello all, I have a new silkie I just got last week with 4 others when I got home it was very evident one was sick she just stood hunched up almost like a chicken with coccidia I had started her on corrid then also noticed mites on her so treated her for them but unfortunately she passed now one of the others has bubbles coming out of his nose yesterday morning and this morning he has yellow crust around his nostrils the other 3 seem fine and this one doesn’t act sick so far except they do all have minimally dirty butts the one that passed had a very dirty butt what can I do for the one with nasal discharge and is there anything else I can do for the others as a preventive I do plan on putting diatomaceous on them and in their bedding just in case of mites since I saw some on the one that died but what else can be done? Thanks in advance for any advice. Picture of chicken with nose discharge
Sounds like you have brought in some sick birds, I hope you have these housed far away from your current flock.

Hard to know what respiratory illness you may be dealing with. Mycoplasma and Infectious Bronchitis are a couple of common ones. Both are contagious. Mycoplasma makes birds carriers for life even if they become asymptomatic, so you need to decide if it's worth adding the newbies to your flock and infecting them. Infectious Bronchitis birds are carriers for 6-12months, but if you continue to bring in new birds, you could keep that virus going for a long time.

Mycoplasma Symptoms can be treated with Tylosin, you can order it online.

Clean the nostrils of mucous, if it's hardened in there, then use a warm compress to help loosen it.

For the Lice/mites, get some Permetrhin poultry dust and treat them in 5-7 days intervals, DE is not going to be effective against an active infestation and you want to get the bugs gone asap. You have weak birds already, no sense in waiting around to see if the DE will kill off some of the bugs.

If you're keeping them, get a fecal float to see if they worms too, if they do, then deworm them.

Culling or returning the birds may be an appropriate step depending on the risk(s) you wish to take.

I'd do exactly what @Wyorp Rock said, but for the more minor issues -- I have used food-grade diatomaceous in my coop to keep mites away for years and it does the job, but I would never use it on a chicken to treat mites.

You need something stronger to kill them such as permethrin dust, elector PSP, or even Ivermectin pour-on for cattle. I know some who just use the spray or powder they use in their gardens. You can go back to DE in the coop but please get something stronger for the mites on your chickens.

For the poopy butts, I'd bathe in warm water with a small amt of soap and soak it off. If it's really bad, take a kitchen scissors and cut the feathers. They probably had loose stools that caused this. Probiotics can help clear up gastrointestinal and crop issues, but do that after the antibiotics.

I'd also get them on vitamins such as Poultry Cell to help them fight everything they have.

I'd also get them on vitamins such as Poultry Cell to help them fight everything they have.
I had started her on corrid
@har97 if you are treating the rest of the newbies with Corid, omit Poultry Cell or any extra supplements/vitamins that contain B1(Thiamine) during the course of treatment.

You can give Extra vitamins/supplement after you are done with the Corid to give them a "boost".

Back
Top Bottom