Sick hen, worried about flock

ferniepup

Hatching
Nov 1, 2023
One of my silkie hens started acting lethargic two days ago. Yesterday, we found her with yellow crust completely over both eyes, yellow nasal discharge, and her feathers felt stiff/clumpy/greasy. She did not make it through the night.

I am worried about the rest of my flock. I have 9 other chickens and 7 ducks. I inspected everyone closely and found what I think is lice on 3 of them. One duck has nasal discharge and one rooster has lost his crow and sounds congested. I don’t know if the lice/mites are related or if we have two diseases going on? Please help! There are no poultry vets nearby, heading to tractor supply to try some things.

Attachments

• IMG_7489.jpeg
    IMG_7489.jpeg
    370.3 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_7485.jpeg
    IMG_7485.jpeg
    392.3 KB · Views: 6
See if you can find Tylosin or Tylan. It is probably an upper respiratory illness (CRD). But it could be far more serious, and due to the fact this chicken died quickly from it, presents more to worry about than just a common "chicken cold". You would be wise to find your nearest animal testing lab and get a necropsy on this hen. Don't bury or freeze the body if you want to do this. Refrigerate until you get instructions from them.

Your location would tell us if avian influenza is in your area and we could also help you contact a lab.

Back
Top Bottom