Silkie hen completely stopped egg production after brief broodiness.

I wonder if my recently broody broken maran x cream legbar is having hormonal issues. She hasn't laid since the day I began her jail time and returned her to the flock. Almost 2 weeks. She used to lay almost daily. What do you think? She will become a hen this week. This is her second time being broody in 2 months time. She is still missing a big patch of belly feathers from pulling them out the first time. Also, will she have to molt before regaining her missing feathers?

Last edited:
Same thing happened to my Silkie the first time she went broody. Broke her out of it and in almost a month she began to lay again. I don’t have a lot of experience with chickens so I can’t tell you if this is a beginner broody hen thing or what the science behind it is. My guess is in about the same time it would take her to hatch out her eggs she might’ve begin laying again.

I wonder if my recently broody broken maran x cream legbar is having hormonal issues. She hasn't laid since the day I began her jail time and returned her to the flock. Almost 2 weeks. She used to lay almost daily. What do you think? She will become a hen this week. This is her second time being broody in 2 months time. She is still missing a big patch of belly feathers from pulling them out the first time. Also, will she have to molt before regaining her missing feathers?
2 weeks is average for resuming laying, but each bird is an individual and it may take yours longer.

Generally after a broody period birds will mini molt. Assuming she cleanly plucked out the feathers from her belly those should regrow before the yearly molt takes place.

2 weeks is average for resuming laying, but each bird is an individual and it may take yours longer.

Generally after a broody period birds will mini molt. Assuming she cleanly plucked out the feathers from her belly those should regrow before the yearly molt takes place.
Thanks! She is back to her daily laying self after almost 2 weeks. :clapI haven't checked her belly yet, but it was just skin the first go round. Cleanly plucked.

Back
Top Bottom