Silkie Hen has "Tumor"?

cheyanna9

Hatching
8 Years
Jan 6, 2012
Hi, I am new to this and hope someone can help. I noticed today that my Silkie hen, Ginger, has this mass on her left side of face. Her right side is fine. She also has green runny poop, which I am guessing she has an infection. I have noticed any changes in her face until today but then again I was out of town for 2 days and just came back today. She was sitting by herself and not eating just picking at her food slightly. I am supposed to take her to the vet tomorrow but the vet who sees chickens is on vacation this week so I do not know if the other vets will know.
Does anyone have any ideas? I hate to have to put her down but if it is a tumor then I will have too.
Thank you in advance.
P.s. The last picture is just showing what her poop looks like now.
Joan

Last edited:
That looks like infectious coryza, a respiratory infection, but also could be mycoplasma (CRD.) If it is that, she will always be a carrier that can affect your other chickens. Some chose to cull this birds, but if you want to treat the infection Tylan50 injection would best treat mycoplasma, and sulfadimetoxine (Di-Methox) would best treat coryza. Here is some info: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

Her stools don't look normal either. It is probably good that you are taking her to the vet. She could possibly have E.Coli or coccidiosis.

Great. Thank you for letting me know. I have her seperated in case she should pass it on to my other silks.

Reguarding her stool her urates which are supposed to be white capped are yellow. This can mean liver involvement or E Coli infection. If it's the E Coli it can be successfully treated. If its not E Coli and the liver is the issue the prognosis is usually not good. I'd say she has two seprate issues going on that need to be addressed. Please keep us posted as to what the vet had to say. I'm very curious about the yellow urates. I had a hen doing that a silkie and I lost her shortly after. Her stool looked exactly like that. I'm very curious what the vet says. Hopefully your case is not the liver like mine was. I wish you the best and please keep us posted.

Thanks to both of you that replied. I took her to the vet and he said it definitely looked like some kind of tumor because it went down the side of her face into her throat. He felt a big mass there so we decided the best thing to do was to put her to sleep. So I spent the afternoon cleaning and santitizing their cage even though he said it wasn't contagious.
As for the poop he said that it was probably from not eating much and infection.
Ginger will be missed.
Thank you again.
Joan

So sorry for your loss. Watch your other chickens closely for the next couple of weeks for any new symptoms. I hope everyone stays healthy.

Back
Top Bottom