Silkie Hen high on Pecking Order

Gammas Bearded Babies

Crossing the Road
May 24, 2021
Middle Tennessee
I have three 8 month old silkies that were hatchmates. 1 is a cockrel and 2 are hens.
Both hens have been laying eggs for 3 months or so now.
My question is regarding the hen high on the pecking order...Milli. She has always been her own self and very skittish and even refuses to let Mango (roo) get near her much less do anything.
I am re-homing Mango since I have 8 week old babies and 2 are roos I would prefer to keep for breeding line. I hate to send him away without his favorite girl Vanilli and I've been thinking she would be almost as bad as he would be without her.
So if Milli has never been close to either of them, what are the chances she would get along and eventually mate with the younger roos in the future once they mature? I would like to keep her for breeding line as well since she is a silkie and babies are all satin silkies.
Thank yall for your feedback.

Silkies can be quite nasty to one another sometimes. Whether it's hens fighting hens, or picking on the other's, or roosters fighting roosters, or fighting with the hens. I've pretty much seen it all.

Do you have anything to put in the run as a boredom buster, incase it's a boredom issue?

Silkies can be quite nasty to one another sometimes. Whether it's hens fighting hens, or picking on the other's, or roosters fighting roosters, or fighting with the hens. I've pretty much seen it all.

Do you have anything to put in the run as a boredom buster, incase it's a boredom issue?
Oh yeah tons of stuff in the 200sqft as well as numerous water and food bowls everywhere for all.

Vanilli is broody again so Mango was in there supporting her LOL so I hurt went ahead and locked them in the pre-fab coop/run which is inside the large 200sqft run.
I thought this would be a good time to try and see how Milli gets along with the babies by herself.
She is too funny...if they go near anything of hers then she gets down low and "zooms" I've to the babies and they take off running.
I'll see how this goes today.
If I'm taking Mango and Vanilli to an amish auction this Saturday I may just take all 3 of them and start fresh again.
Since I'm learning as I go anyways...I can learn as I raise my own chicks!
Any thoughts?

Vanilli is broody again so Mango was in there supporting her LOL so I hurt went ahead and locked them in the pre-fab coop/run which is inside the large 200sqft run.
I thought this would be a good time to try and see how Milli gets along with the babies by herself.
She is too funny...if they go near anything of hers then she gets down low and "zooms" I've to the babies and they take off running.
I'll see how this goes today.
If I'm taking Mango and Vanilli to an amish auction this Saturday I may just take all 3 of them and start fresh again.
Since I'm learning as I go anyways...I can learn as I raise my own chicks!
Any thoughts?
I don't think you need to start fresh, they're still young. Occasionally the cockerels will be abit wimpy at the beginning, but usually brave up as they mature.

Well that's the thing he's not wimpy with me or Vanilli...I'm just frustrated I guess.
Thank u
Usually it's only one bird they're wimpy towards. Occasionally a couple.

Frustration happens, I sometimes get frustrated about some stuff my birds do. I have two birds, an EE, & Silkie/Brahma mix getting bullied off the feeder by the flock. It's like they've been rejected.

Back
Top Bottom