Silkie Hen keeps mouth open......

Sara_Georgia

In the Brooder
11 Years
Apr 11, 2008
I just got a silkie hen, not sure about age, and she keeps her mouth open most of the time. It's almost like shes panting, but she doesn't act sick. I didn't know if this was just a silkie thing or what.
Thanks, Sara!

silkies dont do that. you should take it to the vets and see why is doing that it may have a cold on a cramped up neck. its throat maybe blocked or some thing. my red shavers do it only on a hot sunny day when they pant.
Cheers Clucky chook!!!!!!!

Last edited:
mine do it but only when theyre hot and they pant....all of mine do it and not just silkies

Mine has only did it when it was very hot. They sometimes do that when their thirsty. I agree you need to take it to the vet.

From what I understand, that may be a symptom of gapeworm. Use the Search function at the top of the forum to find more information or maybe someone with some experience with gapeworm will respond. Good luck!

moving is very stressful... keep an eye that she is drinking sufficient water and eating...
She will settle down soon

I don't really notice it now. I'm thinking it may have been the big stress of a new home.
Thanks, Sara

Back
Top Bottom