Silkie hen or roo? 15 weeks

I trimmed the fur around his eyes the other day, but I don’t think I did a very good job. I was afraid of trimming too much and making a mess of the poof, but he can’t see very well so I will do a little more!
Funny enough we ordered 6 female bantams that were delivered in September since we had such poor luck with our hatchlings this summer. One was definitely sexed wrong as we are sure it’s a roo -mottled Cochin bantam (we have 2 mottled Cochins and they were identical until about 2 weeks ago!) Now I have 2 unexpected roos plus a little buff silkie roo I purposely ordered with the bantams .
Where did you order them from? I ordered 12 baby chicks (in the spring) from Meyer Hatchery along with “1” Lavender Orpington Rooster, I ended up getting 4 roosters, was not happy with that. I did find homes for 3 of them, My silkies I bought from a guy in Mt Vernon Ohio, I researched a lot before getting my silkies, (on how to gender them) what I wanted was 2 pullets & 1 Roo, my research paid off! & I got that! In the spring I’m planning on getting, a blue,buff, black, & splash silkies.
Where are you from? I’m from Ohio, I am getting ready to winterize my coop.

I’ve always ordered from My Pet Chicken and have had great success with their chicks. We’ve had chickens since 2011/12 (?) and have ordered dozens of hens through the years and the mottled Cochin bantam is our only sexing error with them! Currently we have 14 laying hens (all breeds-speckled Sussex, Swedish flower hen, blue Cochin, silver laced Cochin, white Cochin, olive egger, partridge olive egger, queen green, super blue (Easter egger), welsummer, black copper maran, golden cuckoo maran, buff Orpington, barred rock). My olive egger hatched out the silkies and my white Cochin hatched out a calico bantam Cochin. My silver laced Cochin adopted 2 Easter egger babies we also have that we hatched in the incubator (one is blue and the other looks barred-they are about 9 weeks?) and we have the 7 younger chicks (1 silkie roo, 1 mottled Cochin bantam roo and 5 other bantam hens-mottled Cochin, welsummer, 2 barred rock and 1 Mille fleur d’uccle). Total of 25 right now! We are in NH, but still new to the state as we’ve only been here 2 years. I’m a city girl at heart- from Boston and lived in a suburb 8 miles north of the city until we bought our little “farm” up here. We moved here with 7 (8?) hens and have been adding to our flock since. We also have 5 sheep and are getting 2 goats in spring!

Where did you order them from? I ordered 12 baby chicks (in the spring) from Meyer Hatchery along with “1” Lavender Orpington Rooster, I ended up getting 4 roosters, was not happy with that. I did find homes for 3 of them, My silkies I bought from a guy in Mt Vernon Ohio, I researched a lot before getting my silkies, (on how to gender them) what I wanted was 2 pullets & 1 Roo, my research paid off! & I got that! In the spring I’m planning on getting, a blue,buff, black, & splash silkies.
Where are you from? I’m from Ohio, I am getting ready to winterize my coop.

I can’t believe I waited this long to get a silkie. I’m so in love with them now and plan to get more hatching eggs in spring! I would love a splash and a white pullet! I would also love a partridge. We have 3 coops (2 large, 1 small for separating if need be) and a barn so plenty of space for all.

I’ve always ordered from My Pet Chicken and have had great success with their chicks. We’ve had chickens since 2011/12 (?) and have ordered dozens of hens through the years and the mottled Cochin bantam is our only sexing error with them! Currently we have 14 laying hens (a ll breeds-speckled Sussex, Swedish flower hen, blue Cochin, silver laced Cochin, white Cochin, olive egger, partridge olive egger, queen green, super blue (Easter egger), welsummer, black copper maran, golden cuckoo maran, buff Orpington, barred rock). My olive egger hatched out the silkies and my white Cochin hatched out a calico bantam Cochin. My silver laced Cochin adopted 2 Easter egger babies we also have that we hatched in the incubator (one is blue and the other looks barred-they are about 9 weeks?) and we have the 7 younger chicks (1 silkie roo, 1 mottled Cochin bantam roo and 5 other bantam hens-mottled Cochin, welsummer, 2 barred rock and 1 Mille fleur d’uccle). Total of 25 right now! We are in NH, but still new to the state as we’ve only been here 2 years. I’m a city girl at heart- from Boston and lived in a suburb 8 miles north of the city until we bought our little “farm” up here. We moved here with 7 (8?) hens and have been adding to our flock since. We also have 5 sheep and are getting 2 goats in spring!
Awesome! Sounds like a nice farm! I have 16 hens, 1 rooster (Lavender Orpington) & Greyson (silkie Roo) & 1 khaki Campbell duck called MEEP MEEP! I have R.I. Red, buff, blue & lavender Orpingtons, Appenzeller, buff brahma, Americana, welsummer,.... I was supposed to have Easter Eggars olive Egger’s but I got more Americanas instead due to the Meyer Hatchery mistake. I’m still thinking about ordering new chicks now, I have the heated panal in my 10x10 coop/shed that my husband built me. (It’s fire safe) he’s gonna build me a newer & bigger run next spring, that’s covered so I don’t have any hawks try to get them, it’s covered now but it’s temporary.

I can’t believe I waited this long to get a silkie. I’m so in love with them now and plan to get more hatching eggs in spring! I would love a splash and a white pullet! I would also love a partridge. We have 3 coops (2 large, 1 small for separating if need be) and a barn so plenty of space for all.
I have a 10x10 coop/shed my hubby built & I have a little chicken coop...which is jail bird house for whoever is being rude in my flock. My rooster “Hector” already spent 4 days by himself due to him coming after me...uummm..that’s a NO NO! So I hung him upside down in front of his ladies to humiliate him & put him in jail for 4 days, & YES! It worked! He knows who’s boss, plus he knows who feeds him also LOL

Awesome! Sounds like a nice farm! I have 16 hens, 1 rooster (Lavender Orpington) & Greyson (silkie Roo) & 1 khaki Campbell duck called MEEP MEEP! I have R.I. Red, buff, blue & lavender Orpingtons, Appenzeller, buff brahma, Americana, welsummer,.... I was supposed to have Easter Eggars olive Egger’s but I got more Americanas instead due to the Meyer Hatchery mistake. I’m still thinking about ordering new chicks now, I have the heated panal in my 10x10 coop/shed that my husband built me. (It’s fire safe) he’s gonna build me a newer & bigger run next spring, that’s covered so I don’t have any hawks try to get them, it’s covered now but it’s temporary.

We’ve never heated our coops, just the water so it doesn’t turn to ice! Sounds like you have a nice little farm as well! We also have a large covered run- it is connected to all of the coops-not the barn-and we have dividers for introducing new chicks, etc. we keep them all in the run when we aren’t home, but mostly when we are home we let them free range. We haven’t let the youngest babies free range yet as they don’t have a “momma” to look after them and we are careful with Ritzy (the silkie I’m trying to determine gender of!) because “his” sight is limited. We have a lot of land, but they don’t venture too far and they have lots of protection from flying predators when free ranging. There’s nothing I enjoy more than sitting outside watching them putter around!! Our speckled Sussex and Ritzy are so mellow that they are treated like cats by our children . My 5th daughter often puts Ritzy in her hoodie pocket and I’ll find them on all sorts of adventures lol.

We’ve never heated our coops, just the water so it doesn’t turn to ice! Sounds like you have a nice little farm as well! We also have a large covered run- it is connected to all of the coops-not the barn-and we have dividers for introducing new chicks, etc. we keep them all in the run when we aren’t home, but mostly when we are home we let them free range. We haven’t let the youngest babies free range yet as they don’t have a “momma” to look after them and we are careful with Ritzy (the silkie I’m trying to determine gender of!) because “his” sight is limited. We have a lot of land, but they don’t venture too far and they have lots of protection from flying predators when free ranging. There’s nothing I enjoy more than sitting outside watching them putter around!! Our speckled Sussex and Ritzy are so mellow that they are treated like cats by our children . My 5th daughter often puts Ritzy in her hoodie pocket and I’ll find them on all sorts of adventures lol.
Aaahhh... lol...I only free range mine when I’m home also, I have hawks, & bald eagles flying around our property, we have 1.5 acres, we would like more but the farmer won’t sell. Someday they will, all my chickens follow me everywhere! I love it! Well good talking to you, I did follow your page, my girls are heading to bed, have to tuck them in LOL

I did post a pic above of the comb! Those white streaks in the 3rd pic are what look like streamers to us. They are distinctly different from the poof! I could be wrong, but not sure what else they would be?

What makes you say partridge? I thought partridge was brownish? Ours is definitely gray (blue?) and not brown! The roo we lost we thought was a partridge- again I have zero silkie experience aside from this one and our younger silkie roo (he’s a buff for sure as I bought him from my pet chicken as a buff silkie roo) so I could be wrong!

Oh, must have missed that pic. Though I still am leaning toward hen. I am not saying everybody is wrong, it's just what I think.

I think partridges have a few different colors, one is the golen-brown, and there is also a gray-blue.

Back
Top Bottom