Silkie hen raising chicks in flock with standards?

madicakes

Songster
6 Years
Mar 6, 2014
South-Central Pennsylvania
I have a pair of black silkies, a hen and a roo. The hen has gone broody, so I decided to let her sit on some eggs. The two silkies are flockmates with 5 standard hens. There aren't any issues with them, and the silkie hen is, much to my surprise, not the low man on the totem pole. I really would like to have her hatch these eggs and raise them with the flock. Is this something that can be done and the chicks be safe, or should I move her out and then reintegrate when the chicks are older?

You would be amazed at how protective Silkie mothers are! She will know how to protect those babies just fine. So no separation is needed. It's kind of good not to separate them, because the others in the flock will get used to them and they'll blend in more easily.

You would be amazed at how protective Silkie mothers are! She will know how to protect those babies just fine. So no separation is needed. It's kind of good not to separate them, because the others in the flock will get used to them and they'll blend in more easily.
That's great! I was hoping to just leave them, and her, in the flock. Thanks!!

I'd leave her. I'd only remove IF there is problems or if she was already picked on!

Back
Top Bottom