Silkie Hen Super Sleepy

KatieBug2k6

In the Brooder
Mar 29, 2021
Hey there. I got a new silkie hen (about 8 months old) yesterday, and she’s weird. She isn’t out with the other chickens yet. She’s really sleepy, won’t walk on her own unless turning in place, is super quiet, and isn’t eating and drinking much. This was happening yesterday but I just thought it could be due to her going through so much change in her environment. That doesn’t seem to be the case. She likes hiding her head in any fabric or hands, if you put her down somewhere she lays down and falls asleep almost immediately. I thought she may not be eating because she couldn’t really see the food ( I trimmed her face and feet a little), she had a few bites when she first got here, and she drinks some water. Her feces seem pretty normal, but her energy is super low. I’m not sure what’s going on, it’s not normal, my sister has a silkie rooster (over a year old) and he has endless spunk. This new hen doesn’t fight, isn’t loud, she barley talks only if she’s worried. As I’m writing this she’s conked out next to me on a towel.
I love her so much already and want to see her get better. If you need any information on how I got her I can provide that.

Edit: She’s perked up after getting some food and water. I sat with her and talked to her (I also made some chicken noises 😁). She’s probably just a bit lonely, so I’m going to keep her company for as much as possible. Thanks for the help!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    498.7 KB · Views: 182
  • 812953F4-2B9D-499F-B918-0A1AE215E137.jpeg
    812953F4-2B9D-499F-B918-0A1AE215E137.jpeg
    570.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 6B1ED5BC-2ABA-432D-9F9D-6B3CD492F31F.jpeg
    6B1ED5BC-2ABA-432D-9F9D-6B3CD492F31F.jpeg
    323.8 KB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    449.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Keep her away from you existing flock if you have one.
What's her diet? It sounds like nutrition/vitamin deficiency.
I’ve gotten her to eat and drink and she’s perked up a lot. We have her eating mealworms, seed, and some minerals mixed in with some layers pellets (small ratio of treats to pellets).

Back
Top Bottom