Silkie hen violently throwing up!! HELP!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by muscovy94, Dec 23, 2010.

1. muscovy94

muscovy94 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 11, 2008
    Vicksburg, MS
    Hey everyone yesterday one of my silkie hens was attacked by a huge hawk that pecked one of her eyes out. The hawk would have killed her but luckily i heard the commotion and went outside and shewed the hawk away. So i put her in a dog crate with a warm towel and put her in the garage. Well this morning i woke up to find throw up all over her and the dog carrier and she has been throwing up on and off all day. She is also too weak to walk. She just kind of wobbles and falls over. Why is she throwing up? Is it because she is in shock? Here are some pics of her...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Brody's Broodello

Brody's Broodello Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 9, 2009
    Maryland
    Maybe she has internal damage. Never had anything like that before. Good luck with her.

3. BarkerChickens

BarkerChickens Microbrewing Chickenologist

Nov 25, 2007
    High Desert, CA
    From my understanding, chickens don't naturally throw up. She has to have something stuck in her crop. Could be due to an injury or unrelated to the attack such as an impacted crop.

4. geebs

geebs Lovin' the Lowriders!

Sep 28, 2008
    bump... new one on me... Good luck with that....

5. tammye

tammye Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2010
    NH
    That poor girl, I hope she can pull through. She may have some swelling in her brain due to the assult. If if pecked her eye out, the optic nerve may be swollen and causing pressure in her head, just like a concussion in a person. Keep her calm, warm and still and hope for the best. Good luck

6. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Have you cleaned her up and checked her for other wounds? I am sure shes gotta be in shock. Poor baby and lost her eye that will need to be clean with saline eye wash and neosporin, please keep her in a quiet warm place till she has a chance to recover. and keep us updated too. She is probably in pain also. If you can get some pain meds from vet or feed store would probably help also

7. muscovy94

muscovy94 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 11, 2008
    Vicksburg, MS
    I've cleaned her up but its not long until she has throwup all over herself again. And the eye was the only wound i could find but i'll check again. And also she won't eat or drink. I've been having to pour water in her mouth.

8. Gallus_domesticus

Gallus_domesticus Out Of The Brooder

Feb 21, 2008
    Arizona
    I'm sorry but in my opinion she needs to be taken to a veterinarian or euthanized at home. With the eye issue and whatever is going on internally, she is most certainly suffering.

ETA: I do not believe that it is possible for the average person to alleviate her suffering & fix her at home.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2010
  9. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    How much water are you giving her? And how often? She would do best with small amounts at a time. Maybe let her rest a bit and offer some scrambled egg or yogurt and wait to see if she will eat after a bit. I imagine she is hurting and probably quite shocked.
    sharon

10. chkn

chkn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    Poor thing, it's such a little cutie pie. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by