Silkie hen with chicks, can she be let out with the rest of the group?

silkieluvr

Songster
12 Years
Sep 20, 2007
Marin, California
My silkie hen has chicks that will be a week old on monday, will it be okay to move her and the chicks out with the rest of the group, or should I let her stay in solitary confinement?

Thanks to everyone that can help!

I think it would be safer to keep her in her own cage. The hen will probably be fierce and beat the crud out of any birds that try to mess with them, but there is always that risk that another bird will get a chick and kill it. It would probably be best to leave her alone with them to lower the risk. That's just my opinion though!

I haven't had this wonderful experience yet ... But, I've read and been told that it's best to keep her separated until the chicks are older (I think feathered out - maybe even beyond that) before trying to acclimate them back to the flock. And even then there should be someplace that they can get to that the older chickens can't so they have a place to run to for protection.

When the day comes and I'm in your situation I intend to keep mine separated for quite a long while as it's not worth the risk of losing one for me. Better safe than sorry ...

Back
Top Bottom