Silkie hens with spiky 'punk' top knots?

deljoy

Hatching
6 Years
Jun 15, 2013
Queensland, Australia
Hi Folk, I have just bought 2 black silkie hens (told they're 6 mths old...not laying yet) and their head feathers are hard and spiky, not fluffy like the rest of their bodies. Their 'hairdo's look like they've been gelled!
Is this normal? I'm totally new to Silkies so am not sure what's up. Thanks for any help, - Deljoy

Here's some photos of my new Silkies with the "punk rocker' hairdo's.
Does anyone know if these head feathers will go fluffy....they feel spikey and have white tips. Any clues folk?

The white tips are the feather casings that normally have crumbled off or been dirt bathed off by this point. Are they dirt bathing normally? Generally genetics and diet influences how quickly or slowly they perform any natural process, including losing their feather casings. Your birds look shiny though, so I don't think it's anything to worry about.

Last edited:
Thanks for your input. Checked out my girls 'punk' do's closer today....yep think you've nailed it, the white casings crumbled off between my fingers although the whole bunch of head feathers feel
kind of greasy so maybe they didn't have access to dust baths. Plenty of dust in their new home now so hope to see them 'cleaning up' real soon.
They'll have a rooster joining them next week so they'll need to smarten up asap. Great feedback Chooks4life!

Back
Top Bottom