Silkie horns

A spike or spikes is a DQ on a cushion comb breed. APA ASOP [2001]page 33. Tom
Right as usual.

That's a bit confusing seeing the Bantam Standard lists Horns as a Defect not a DQ​

Quote:
The plot thickens! The next sentence says"Generally considered to be genetically a rose comb, changed by rose comb plus crest." In the silkie description [p 292] it calls for a walnut comb. On page 7 a walnut comb is listed differently than the silkie comb. One of the cases where a description has been changed and some references got overlooked. Proof-reading a standard is a daunting and thankless job. I am now inclined to disregard the horns except as a tie breaker. Tom

Last edited:
I greatly appreciate your input! I was feeling bad for spreading 'misinformation' but now I feel redeemed. I'm still wet behind the ears but I've clerked and asked for detailed critiques on my birds from other exhibitors and judges enough (and listened to critiques of other's birds) that I thought I knew what was a DQ and what wasn't. Thank you so much for your clarification.

The thread currently near the top where someone is asking for a critique of their whites... the cockerel has horns clearly visible. I point it out in my critique.

They are not desirable for show birds, from what I have been taught, but are not a DQ.

Sorry, here's a link to the post. https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=413248

In thesecond and third picture down, the picture of the cockerels head, you can see the knob sticking out from the very top portion of his comb into his crest. It looks like he may have one on the other side as well.

Last edited:
31282_dscf2208.jpg

31282_dscf220811.jpg

What I am talking about is a lot smaller, I'll get one tomorrow. I don't think my silkies would be to happy if I got them out of bed to take a picture.

Even hens can have horns, in which case they are MUCH smaller. I think some of my blue SG growouts have very tiny horns, which almost looks like just a wee bump at the top. The extreme examples do show it much more clearly for those who haven't seen them.

Back
Top Bottom