Silkie horns

Quote:
oooh wow..thats not what I had pictured but I guess if they have horns it would be that obvious like in this photo? I dont have those on my birds--I dont think??? I better go look and move some fluff around to check? thank you for the photo

Quote:
*giggle giggle*
I didn't know it until I took this picture, and I have had him for over a year!
ep.gif

Quote:
*giggle giggle*
I didn't know it until I took this picture, and I have had him for over a year!
ep.gif

Isnt it funny how we are around them hold and love them up everyday and then not notice something ginormous! hahaha love is blind...

Obviously I do not show birds, or I would have checked him over better. The only things I check for when handling my birds are lice, mites, etc ....

I looked at my pictures, and thought
ep.gif
what the heck is that??? I ran outside and picked him up and checked to see if my picture was deceiving me. hahaha

Anyone wanting to use my picture for education purposes or whatever, is welcome to use it.

hehe! and i thought the 'horns' on silkies was just a joke! now i know that they really are little 'devils'!
lau.gif
next time i have the chance to check over a little tribble...err...silkie i will look for the horns!

Quote:
The plot thickens! The next sentence says"Generally considered to be genetically a rose comb, changed by rose comb plus crest." In the silkie description [p 292] it calls for a walnut comb. On page 7 a walnut comb is listed differently than the silkie comb. One of the cases where a description has been changed and some references got overlooked. Proof-reading a standard is a daunting and thankless job. I am now inclined to disregard the horns except as a tie breaker. Tom

That's what most judges would do and I believe that to be correct.
"Proof-reading a standard is a daunting and thankless job".....I agree and in addition, like other technical manuals, everyone has an interpretation of the SOP. It also takes looking around to find all the pieces to solve problems like the "horns".

Walt Leonard
Chairman of the APA Standard Revision Committee.

Thank you very much Mr. Leonard for clearing that up. I have limited experience showing (my fifth show will be the Caldwell, ID show at the beginning of Nov), but had not seen a silkie DQ'd for horns. I've been told so many things by so many people (some people had said to pull all foot feathers on the fourth and fifth toes, however a judge came on a thread on here and said not to... and the info to pull came from a fellow ASBC member and long time exhibitor). I also know different judges have different personal preferences. Mr. Kutch doesn't like the crests overly large and told me he likes to see the eyes of the bird. I learn something from each judge I show under, and I learn even more when I am able to clerk.

To those who are considering exhibiting and have not yet, do consider joining the APA and the ABA and showing in some local shows. Even though your bird may not win, you be presented with many opportunities to learn that will help guide you in plans for future breeding, acquisition of stock to compliment your current birds, etc.

Also, if you are exhibiting silkies, the ASBC is a wonderful resource full of helpful people. I know that Amy Jo Piehl, also on BYC, is a member, as is Sundown Waterfowl, myself, and many top breeders of silkies.

If you have questions about the breed club, I will do my best to put you into contact with someone that can help you if I don't know the answer.

Thanks!
Jennifer

I for one am glad for this topic. I don't remember it ever coming up on ASBC other than to not use the bird. So I never did. And of course while at shows no one ever asked any of the judges about it since no one brought birds with horns.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom