silkie incubator

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Hopefulloflove, Mar 6, 2012.

1. Hopefulloflove

Hopefulloflove Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2011
    Benson, NC
    I have a Silkie girl...I had been told that Silkies made good mothers and would sit on eggs...was I told wrong? So far, she's done nothing with plenty of opportunity..if Silkies are NOT the way to go, then what breed do make good incubators?

Thanks!

2. JakRat

JakRat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Dover
    My Silkie I got took a while to go broody. But YES they are great broodys. You might have to leave a few eggs in the nest for a while to see if she will. Spring is in the air so hopefully it will be soon.

3. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    Yes, they're very broody little things. Two of our girls last year had been laying for less than a month when they decided to go broody. It seemed like every time I turned around last year one of the Silkies was setting on a nest. Give her time and some eggs and it'll happen.

4. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    Oops. . . double post

Last edited: Mar 6, 2012
  5. srpaint

srpaint Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    Illinois
    I have had 3 silkie hens go broody already. One is very determined even though she is on no eggs. They are all young too. Hatched last year. So I agree. Give her sometime and she will come around.

6. Cattitude

Cattitude Chillin' With My Peeps

My half-Silkie hens were a year and a half old before they started getting the broodies. One of them faithfully sat on eggs all through November 2011, until I threw the eggs out. Now another one is acting broody, and since the weather is warming up, I might give her a few eggs to try out. :)

7. Hopefulloflove

Jul 18, 2011
    Benson, NC
    A second question.my silkie roo is in with her..do I need to take him out for her to go broody or just leave them along?

Thanks! I want to give her a chance to be a momma! :)

8. Hopefulloflove

Jul 18, 2011
    Benson, NC
    anyone?

9. Cattitude

Cattitude Chillin' With My Peeps

My roo stayed in the same pen, but he had other hens in there too. Do you have more than one hen in with your roo? if so, they should be okay.

10. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

May I recommend a cochin? My girl went broody after only 20 days of laying :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by