Silkie information

Hennyhandler

SilkieJax
10 Years
Jun 10, 2009
Cullman
I read in a thread that silkies don't like to and won't fly and that they don't like ramps. If you have an existing coop and flock that has both these things what do you do? How do all ya'll silkie owners who have other breeds as well manage this? If there is anything else that is different about silkies I would love to know.

It's not that Silkies don't like to fly, they can't fly! Their feather prevent them from being able to. Along with them not being able to fly, most are not comfortable being off the ground, I know mine aren't. Mine sleep together in a pile in their coops.

Some of my roos will roost but other than that they stay on the ground, they dont lay in the 2 foot off the ground nest box ether.

Last edited:
Mine have no problem with ramps. We designed their coops with floor height nesting boxes & slightly raised roosts -- like 5 inches off the floor. Their coops are raised so they can go under to get out of the sun or rain. They do prefer to sleep in big silkie piles here too. They also like mud puddles!

I have two pens of silkies, with the same height coop and ramp. It all depends on the silkie. The one pen of silkies will go up the ramp every night perfectly fine, but the the other pen refuses to go up it. I end up picking each silkie up and putting them in the cooop each night. Annoying, but you gotta love them haha

mine are in a coop w a floor about 2 1/2 feet high. the boys all jump in & out, a couple girls use the ramp and jump. but they all sleep in a pile, well two piles lol! the boys on one side the girls on the other! weirdo's!
love.gif
they are my sweeties though!

Back
Top Bottom