Silkie is amazing adopted mother😍

Mya05

Songster
May 10, 2020
Edmond, Oklahoma
We got two Polish Crested chicks. After having them in the brooder for a few days, we decided it would be best if one of our hens decided to adopt them. I immediately thought of Stormy, our Silkie, because she was determined to stay broody, and would go back to being broody a day or two after we managed to break her. She immediately purred at the chicks, and took them as her own😍😍😊 The chicks are about 6 weeks now, and they have been accepted by the flock😊 Occasionally, our RIR, Ruth, decides to pick on the chicks. Stormy will attack her without mercy, and drive her away😄🙃Our rooster, Omen has also defend the chicks, and found treats for them😍 There are times when one of the other hens will steal a treat that one of the chicks found, and Omen will chase her down, take the treat away, and give it back to the chick😂😍 The female chick is named Stella, and the male is Mick Jagger. Here are a few pictures!

Attachments

• 20210516_101839.jpg
    20210516_101839.jpg
    848.5 KB · Views: 18
  • 20210516_184253.jpg
    20210516_184253.jpg
    789.8 KB · Views: 14
  • 20210516_184242.jpg
    20210516_184242.jpg
    1,016 KB · Views: 15
  • 20210516_191131.jpg
    20210516_191131.jpg
    888.6 KB · Views: 14
Today two hens were fighting about something in the coup. Probably a nesting box🙄 We have four, but apparently they all want to lay in the same box. Anyhow, Mick Jagger, our 6 week old cockerel, decided to break up the fight😳😂 Technically, he was successful. They quit fighting, and chased him around the run instead😂 Stormy, his adopted mom, was a cute, fluffy ball of murderous rage. She managed to drive off both hens, and pull an impressive amount of feathers from both hens as punishment for daring to go after her precious baby boy. Omen, our rooster, made a sound that can only be described as a laugh. He went over to check on Jagger and soothe Stormy. She cussed him out real good, took her babies, and walked off muttering to herself. Omen just looked dumfounded.😂😂😂

We have two new additions to the flock🐣🐣 Queenie, our feather foot, went broody, so we decided to allow her to hatch a few eggs. We had one the first hatch two days ago, and the second hatched yesterday morning😊 There are three more eggs that will hopefully hatch, but the two hatched chicks seem perfectly healthy. Queenie has them eating and drinking, and they seem to enjoy sitting on top of her😄❤ Last night, when the rest of the flock was going to bed, Stormy started purring at Queenie's chicks. Queenie screeched at her, and chased her off😂 I guess Stormy decided that since her babies are grown, she is free to raise more!

Attachments

• 20210610_133214.jpg
    20210610_133214.jpg
    363.9 KB · Views: 6
  • 20210610_133210.jpg
    20210610_133210.jpg
    345.1 KB · Views: 8
Today two hens were fighting about something in the coup. Probably a nesting box🙄 We have four, but apparently they all want to lay in the same box. Anyhow, Mick Jagger, our 6 week old cockerel, decided to break up the fight😳😂 Technically, he was successful. They quit fighting, and chased him around the run instead😂 Stormy, his adopted mom, was a cute, fluffy ball of murderous rage. She managed to drive off both hens, and pull an impressive amount of feathers from both hens as punishment for daring to go after her precious baby boy. Omen, our rooster, made a sound that can only be described as a laugh. He went over to check on Jagger and soothe Stormy. She cussed him out real good, took her babies, and walked off muttering to herself. Omen just looked dumfounded.😂😂😂

LOL! That's one of the funniest, cutest things I've read in a while! Silkies are fierce little defenders when they need to be.

We have one that's as sweet as she can be until our Golden Comets get close to her and try to establish themselves again (they came in as weeks old chicks last summer, while the Silkie hen is now 3 years old). The Comets are twice her size now, but if they get too close, she gets a piece of them every time. We just laugh and laugh at little Noel being such a badass! :)

LOL! That's one of the funniest, cutest things I've read in a while! Silkies are fierce little defenders when they need to be.

We have one that's as sweet as she can be until our Golden Comets get close to her and try to establish themselves again (they came in as weeks old chicks last summer, while the Silkie hen is now 3 years old). The Comets are twice her size now, but if they get too close, she gets a piece of them every time. We just laugh and laugh at little Noel being such a badass! :)
I love it❤ Stormy will jump on the back of a hen, and peck them in the back of the head until they give up😂😂 I was worried about pecking order when we first got her, until I saw her jump on a hen. It was hilarious😂 I love how much attitude is packed into suck a small hen😍

Back
Top Bottom