Silkie isolating herself, stopped laying, not eating

Dixie_and_Hazel

In the Brooder
Mar 21, 2020
Hi there,

I have a silkie who is about 9/10 months old. She is my best layer and usually very perky and runs to me for food when she hears me come outside.

this is our first time having chickens and we have a small backyard flock of 6. She is the only one showing the below symptoms. Any help would be greatly appreciated. (I do have one other silkie who i believe is broody but fine otherwise and still eating and drinking normally).

about a week ago I noticed she would linger in the nest box, I assumed she was broody and didn’t think much of it.

For the past 3/4 days she has more or less gone off her food & will drink a little water if I encourage her to. She occasionally has a small peck for food but her crop always feels empty. They have been fed layer pellets and scratch mix (we introduced a new scratch mix a week ago as the usual one we buy wasn’t available) along with the occasional chook friendly scraps. Plenty of fresh water available to them, they are all wormed and dusted with pestene and we have thoroughly cleaned out their coop and bedding. I will add that I think I need to limit their access to the scratch mix as I feel they eat too much of this and not enough pellets. They are completely free range though and have unlimited access to our yard at all times.

I did notice that they all had lice after a close inspection so have dusted them again about 3 days ago & will do the same again in another few days time.

The last time she laid an egg was about a week ago. She was my first layer and was very regular. I do not think she is egg bound however I am so new to chickens I could be wrong. She is still doing some poos however they are really small, mostly white/light in colour but are not runny and still their regular texture.

If I remove her from the nest or roost she will stand around and not do much, she sometimes will drink or eat very little but eventually returns to the coop if close enough. If too far away she just isolates herself into a corner. She closes her eyes a lot even when not in the nest or on her roost and is acting very lethargic at all times and even when handled by me.

We have started giving her avi-vital. I have tried offering scrambled eggs to her and other “treats” she Usually likes to try and encourage her to eat but she is not interested.

I would be so grateful if you could offer any help as she such a darling and much loved family pet.

Thank you.

How does her crop feel? Is it emptying normally overnight, or does it feel full or puffy or hard first thing in the morning? Will she eat some scrambled egg, tuna, or sunflower seed? I would insert a clean or floved finger into her vent an inch or so for a stuck egg or obstruction.

Since you saw lice, i would bathe and blowdry, retreat for them, ivomec pour on if you can get it, try giving her some raw hamburger and vitamins, she may be anemic from bugs. Any vent drainage?

How does her crop feel? Is it emptying normally overnight, or does it feel full or puffy or hard first thing in the morning? Will she eat some scrambled egg, tuna, or sunflower seed? I would insert a clean or floved finger into her vent an inch or so for a stuck egg or obstruction.

thank you for replying. Her crop is definitely not full or puffy at any time of the day. I have managed to get her to eat a little bit of food this morning and have bathed and dried her. I will retreat her for lice this afternoon also and try again to see if I can feel an egg. I did do this the other day but was fairly sure I couldn’t feel anything. Thank u again for your reply

Since you saw lice, i would bathe and blowdry, retreat for them, ivomec pour on if you can get it, try giving her some raw hamburger and vitamins, she may be anemic from bugs. Any vent drainage?
Thank you so much. I have just done this and will try and get my hands on some Ivomec also. I did manage to get her to eat a small amount of food this morning too which was the first time in a few days. There is no vent drainage. Thank u for your reply. Fingers crossed she begins to perk up soon

Thank you so much. I have just done this and will try and get my hands on some Ivomec also. I did manage to get her to eat a small amount of food this morning too which was the first time in a few days. There is no vent drainage. Thank u for your reply. Fingers crossed she begins to perk up soon
This is an option for feeding also

I would use permethrin instead of ivomect. I had a huge nest of ants in my mail box today, and I brought the permethrin i'de been using on the chickens out and sprayed the whole mail box, and they were all dead in seconds! I am assuming that will do the same thing to mites, or lice! Since I have sprayed the chickens, I have seen nothing!

I would use permethrin instead of ivomect. I had a huge nest of ants in my mail box today, and I brought the permethrin i'de been using on the chickens out and sprayed the whole mail box, and they were all dead in seconds! I am assuming that will do the same thing to mites, or lice! Since I have sprayed the chickens, I have seen nothing!
That sounds brilliant! Thanks for the tip!

Back
Top Bottom