Silkie June/July Hatch-Along!

Today is day 21, I have only peeked at the eggs but I don't see any cracks or pips, I don't see them move. Mama is still taking good care of them.

Got anxious and carefully candled one. No internal pip, no blood line, inside looks pretty 'full' and can't really see anything. I'm wondering if the way she wasn't great about sitting on them for the first 2 or 3 days have delayed them.

Any pipping or cracks yet? :fl

Update:

Going to be doing the final candling on the 9 eggs in the incubator tonight!

Hopefully all is well, if not I'll be chucking the ones that don't seem right.

It's too bright to candle now ugh...it's a hard waiting game until tonight! :th

PomPom, my broody, is still sitting the 5 eggs I put under her on Monday. I will candle them for the first time next Thursday I think.

She's doing great so far though, protective of her eggs and determined for sure.

Update:

I just candled them!

All 9 remaining had development but...one just didn't seem right.

They are 5 days away from hatch day. I had to do them today since I'm away for the weekend and I'm not back until Tuesday.

So here are some photos of the 8 eggs (some eggs may be posted twice, it's hard remembering them) that seemed fine to me, movement visible in all:
IMG_9729.JPG

IMG_9730.JPG

IMG_9731.JPG

IMG_9732.JPG

IMG_9733.JPG

IMG_9735.JPG

IMG_9736.JPG

IMG_9737.JPG

This is the egg I was unsure on, it didn't seem right? There was no visible movement, just had a couple of darker blob patches and when I turned the egg, the contents inside just kinda swirled around. Not like the others:
IMG_9739.JPG

IMG_9740.JPG

IMG_9741.JPG

I cracked open the egg, there was no smell so it wasn't rotting or anything. There wasn't anything unusual inside the egg.
The yolk sac was still really big though and the embryo was about the size of two beans. It's head was kinda visible but it had no other defining features like legs or a beak.
From what I could see, it was either going to be a black Silkie or Cuckoo like it's mother. The egg I removed was marked A from my Cuckoo Silkie.
Her other egg also didn't develop correctly so either it's down to how hers were handled in the 'to be eaten tray' or she isn't the best chick producer.

I feel bad but I know something wasn't right with it and I couldn't risk it exploding in the incubator when I'm away.

Nope, nothing. She wasn't fantastic about being on the nest all the time for the first 4 days, I'm hoping they're just behind.

I hope so too fingers crossed!

i'm on day 15 I think, but i'm getting worried because there isn't any movement today! Yesterday they were moving so much... maybe i just can't see it because the egg is nearly filled up?

I candled mine around the same time as you and I could see movement in some but others I couldn't. They were all developed to the same stage so I beloved it just depends on how they are lying/positioned on the egg.

As long as there is no funky smell I wouldn't worry to much!

Update:

One chick has hatched!

It was the egg marked H which is the one I was really hoping would hatch.

So far it seems strong and looks like it's wearing eye liner.

Back
Top Bottom