Silkie Knowledge Seeking

Aug 31, 2019
Hughes Wildlife Farm, MA
I purchased 2 Bantam Silkies as chicks.. I thought this meant "small silkie". Than I purchased other "regular" Silkies..
My Bantams are bigger and have single combs.
Verses my regular Silkies with full round pompom heads and almost nothing as a comb.
My Bantams have a clear line of vision and some smooth feathers. While my regular silkies are all fluffy from head to toe.
Whitewalker and Khaleesi are 1yr old Bantam Silkies. (One roo, one hen)
The other 2 Painted Silkies are what I considered regular 6mo old Silkies (one roo, one pullet)
Screenshot_2019-10-20-09-53-40(1).png
Screenshot_2019-10-20-09-53-32(1).png
Screenshot_2019-10-15-20-37-36(1).png
20191023_145710.jpg

Yes the title suggests a question or general knowledge of the Silkie breed.
Just wondering how on earth the "Bantams Silkies" ended up, looking as they do. They follow all the rules of a silkie, but, not. 😆
So basically, what could be somthing their cross breed? Just as ideas

I took this picture from google images; a silkied cochin.

Another sign of a cross is the number of toes on the feet. Silkies have five toes on each foot while other breeds have four toes on each foot. This cannot be determined looking at the pictures.

scochin.jpg

Last edited:
I've crossed silkies with other breeds and noticed that all the chicks had feet that did not match a full silkie. Sometimes having four toes on one foot and five toes on the other; other times having four toes on each foot. While I'm still doubtful, perhaps the other poster is correct and the differences you see are due to not being well bred-poor quality silkie.

Back
Top Bottom