Silkie lifespan?

Ninniach

Hatching
9 Years
May 12, 2010
I'm looking into buying some silkies and am curious how long they typically live for. So, for those of you who have or have had silkies, how long did you have them for? I looked online to answer my question, but I'd rather asked someone who has had experience.

The average chickens life span is 2-5 years. Some can live up to 10,12,14 years old. I've never had silkies, but I hope some silkie experts can answer you question, And Welcome to the BYC!

I would agree that the average life span of a chicken is 2-5 years if you consider death due to predators, injuries and disease. The average age in my flock is around 7 years with the youngest being about 2 and the oldest, 10. Most of my Silkies are 6 years old and are laying as they did when they were a year old. A well known breeder auctioned some of her buffs on eggbid and got between $300-$600 for birds that were 2 years old. Nobody is going to pay that much for a bird that is all washed up. I had one Silkie live to 10 and she died when a neighbor who was taking care of my birds put the waterer too high for her to reach (as she was the only bantam I had at the time).

I have a 5 month old Silkie girl which I purchased from a breeder. She said her Silkie have typically lived to be 7 years old, but has had them live to 9 years.

I have never had birds die that young. If your birds pass at that young of an age, something is wrong. A 2-5 year old silkie is not old. Some of my males do not reach sexual maturity until almost two, silkie males can be slow. I had a cochin bantam male live to be over 14 years old, and was still showing a gray silkie hen at age 8. She is retired now and is doing very well at age 9. I have several silkies that are over 9 years old. I would imagine it may have something to do with what breed you are raising, but I have had several breeds and never had any to die that young unless they had a health issue or went egg bound. So, if there are no unforeseen health problems your birds should live a long time if given the proper care.

Back
Top Bottom